Switch Radio – Radio Sales Executive
Based: Switch Radio, Lower Ground Floor, Topcliffe House, Hawkinge Drive, Castle Vale, Birmingham; Applicant must be willing and able to travel within the local area
Salary: £13,500/annum; plus commission;subject to review based upon performance; position is 12 month fixed term in the first instance
Hours of work: Part-time; 24.0 hours per week (~0.65FTE); Flexible working
Holidays: Six weeks equivalent (inclusive of bank/public holidays)
Application deadline: 27th March 2019
107.5 Switch Radio broadcasts to North East Birmingham, which encompasses some of the most deprived communities in the UK. Despite regeneration efforts, 49% of the population in our service area live in regions that still feature amongst the top 10% most deprived wards in the UK. Almost three-quarters of our service area live in regions that feature amongst the top 20% most deprived regions in the UK. As such, the objective for Switch Radio is two-fold; firstly, to use the platform of community radio to entertain, inform and engage and involve the local community with us and each other. Secondly, we provide hands-on training and media experience to help local people do something practical about unemployment, skills training, education and social isolation. We provide live and locally relevant daytime programming, delivered by entirely by local volunteers and encouraging listener interaction. In the evenings, we hand the station over to our capable specialist presenters whose shows cover musical genres that are currently underserved by local commercial and BBC radio operations.
While we have significant experience in grant-funded activity, we are looking to increase our portfolio of commercial work and to diversify the revenue streams that underlie our station’s activities. To this end, we are seeking a committed and passionate Radio Sales Executive who can help us take our commercial activity to the next level. With experience in radio sales, ideally within a community/small scale commercial environment, you will be able to identify opportunities and build them into commercial relationships that support Switch Radio’s activities. You will work with the station’s fundraising team to identify potential areas of overlap between our project work and commercial sponsorship opportunities. You will be passionate about building direct, face-to-face relationships with local advertisers and will act as the point of contact for all commercial activity. You’ll need to be happy to travel the local area and meet with advertisers at their places of business if required. We will expect the successful applicant to be able to organise their working week around the needs of both our business and our external partners. You will report frequently to the station manager, and when needed, to the Switch Radio management committee and company board. In turn, the station will support your activities and work with you to ensure that you are a key contributor to the vision of the station. In addition, you will receive commission (at an industry standard rate) on all commercial/advertising contracts you secure.
This is an exciting and flexible role for the right person. Given the recent changes in the local radio landscape, it’s a good time to be local!
– Identification and pursuit of new commercial opportunities including radio/web/social advertising, sponsorship and contract work
– Development and maintenance of existing commercial relationships
– Develop and deliver campaigns that meet the need of our clients and provide value-for-money for our advertisers/commercial partners
– Conversion of leads and opportunities into revenue
– Manage advertising accounts on behalf of the station, liaising with both the station management and finance in order to deliver on this
– Feed into station policy around commercial activity, including the development of media packs, broadcast approaches and social media activity
– Act as the primary contact for the station’s commercial activity
– Experience in media sales
– Ability to confidently and strategically manage workload and working patterns
– High levels of self-initiative, drive, and resilience
– Experience in generating new business and sales
– Confident manner with a professional, flexible and positive approach to work
– A high standard of written and spoken English, with evidence of the ability to write/speak in a persuasive fashion
– Excellent presentation/communication skills
– Good telephone and face-to-face manner
– Close attention to detail
– An ability to work with figures and use spreadsheets
– Current driving licence and the use of a vehicle
– Experience in small-scale commercial media environments, particularly in radio sales
– Experience in, or understanding of, community media and challenges within the sector
– Digital sales experience
– Track record in radio production or an understanding of the production process in relation to radio advertising
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.co.uk.