Assistant Producer, 12 Month FTC
We are Wireless: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020 Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. And talkRADIO is redefining speech broadcasting on digital audio platforms, connected TV and beyond.
Times Radio has shaken up the broadcasting firmament since launching in June 2020. As a live news radio station, we have already built up a strong reputation for providing well-informed, thoughtful and intelligent news and discussion, covering the key stories of the day. We have combined the famous journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the radio experience of Wireless to create a station that already has over 500,000 weekly listeners. We have a world-class line-up of presenters talking to excellent guests, who value conversation over confrontation.
Your role: As an Assistant Producer on Times Radio, you will work reporting to the programme producer to generate story ideas and set up items and guests to create intelligent speech radio that is a compulsive and engaging listen.
Day to day you will:
- Come up with news-based ideas for interviews and discussions
- Research, book and write briefs for guests and stories
- Edit audio
- Brief presenters
- Help turn around the best news lines for digital and external impact
- Plan future shows
- Work on special projects as needed
What we’re looking for from you:
- A journalist who loves the news and oozes ideas on a daily basis
- A passion for radio production and an ear for great audio
- You use initiative and have the ability to spot a story
- A creative mind and the ability to think differently
- Excellent knowledge of the current news environment and endless suggestions for suitable guests
- You thrive in fast-paced environments and are able to work quickly in small teams
- Used to working closely with presenters
- A trusted pair of hands you have a reliable understanding of relevant compliance and legal issues
What's in it for you?
You will be joining a radio station where we will cover the biggest stories and most engaging talking points. You will help us find informed and likeable guests; working with presenters who are warm and witty - you will contribute to a station that will help listeners hear the world differently.
Life at Wireless
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at Wireless supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.