Audio Producer: Features
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and digital services. What binds us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist is looking for an experienced audio producer to make our feature podcasts - Money talks, Babbage, Editor’s picks and The Economist asks. The ideal candidate is able to distil complex news stories into accessible and creative audio.
The primary responsibility of the audio producer will be to create engaging feature podcasts to complement The Economist’s print coverage and drive subscriptions. The producer will work closely with journalists and help them bring their stories to life in audio.
The producer will be responsible for making whole episodes of the feature shows, developing the series and planning themed shows. This will include a wide range of production tasks, from initial story selection to the final edit. Producers will pitch story and guest ideas, book guests, script and edit episodes, and will work collaboratively with the presenters, guests and other members of the podcast production team.
The producer should also be comfortable with recording in the field or the studio, and be proficient with Adobe Audition.
Candidates should have a love of podcasting, a deep knowledge of current affairs and be keen to find new, creative ways of storytelling. We are looking for someone who has experience in narrative storytelling, scripting for audio and is comfortable working to frequent and tight deadlines. Attention to detail, a strong work ethic, professionalism and intra-office skills are essential.
- Proven track record of sound editorial news judgement / background in journalism
- Ability to pitch stories, book guests and edit audio
- Experience of innovative use of sound and a creative approach to news
- Ability to write engaging and accurate scripts and effective briefs
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Wide knowledge of, and strong interest in, news and current affairs
- Proficiency at Adobe Audition or an ability to learn it quickly
- Understanding of news-storytelling techniques
- Ability to work diplomatically with a wide variety of people, including high profile guests
- Can implement on-air diversity initiatives
- An understanding of The Economist’s distinctive style
- Experience in business news or a financial background
Please submit a cover letter, CV and three links to your work, explaining your role in each piece to email@example.com. Please put the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of the email and mention where you saw this advertisement in your cover letter.
This job is based in London. All applicants must have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom. The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.