Boxing & MMA Writer
We are Wireless. Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK a year ago, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three new Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, the England Cricket Board and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities.
The team - talkSPORT Digital:
The talkSPORT website is viewed by millions of people a month, while we have more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter, a Facebook page with three million likes and a YouTube channel with 900,000 subscribers.
We are now expanding our digital department and are looking for a writer with a passion for combat sports to join the editorial team at talkSPORT.com.
Reporting to the website editor, you will be required to write engaging boxing news and feature content on a daily basis.
You will tell stories in interesting ways, generate creative ideas around the latest talking points, conduct exclusive interviews and cover the biggest fights live.
You will be required to work five days a week, totalling 40 hours, at varying times.
This role will be based from home initially, although you may occasionally be required to be at our offices in London Bridge.
Day to day you will:
- Write breaking boxing news stories quickly and accurately under pressure
- Spot stories that will resonate with our audience and generate great ideas for original content
- Cover fights live and report on them in creative ways
- Set up and conduct exclusive interviews with boxers, MMA fighters and key figures within combat sports
- Liaise with talkSPORT radio production staff to utilise the best on-air boxing interviews online
- Edit pictures and select most impactful images to enhance written copy
- Take notice of trends and incorporate keywords into headlines
The ideal candidate:
- Passionate about sports journalism
- Good writing skills and a flair for storytelling
- Always up to date with the latest boxing and MMA news
- NCTJ qualification or similar
- Immersed in social media and consume sports content daily
- Strong communication skills
- Determination to learn and develop
- Flexible and willing to work unsociable hours
Life at Wireless
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at Wireless supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.