We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Broadcast Journalist - Reporter
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Regional News Editor
Overview of job
As a Broadcast Journalist you will have a number of responsibilities in sourcing and gathering news content for our local and national brands, in addition to live inserts into LBC and LBC News on relevant stories. This is mainly a reporting role but you will also require a commanding on air presence to read bulletins as and where required. You will occasionally be required to get to the scene of breaking news stories across the south patch in a timely fashion, sometimes outside normal working hours. As a reporter you will be responsible for sourcing and acquiring high quality audio and video content on brand relevant stories for local and national brands.
3 best things about the job
- Working on some of the UK’s largest and most prestigious radio brands.
- A varied and exciting role with plenty of development opportunity in an ambitious company.
- The opportunity to report live into local and national programming on a breaking news story.
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have
- Reported live into LBC or LBC News on a relevant news story in south patch
- Sourced original local content for local bulletins and national brands
- Started to establish relationships with key partners in south patch
- Built an understanding of the south news patch and the associated Ofcom regulations and guidelines
- Produced creative and engaging content
- Responded to breaking news
Responsibilities of the role
- Sourcing interviews for local and national brands, responsible for responding to breaking news in south TSA
- Delivery of live hits into national programming
- Develop creative off-diary stories,
- Occasional bulletin reading
- Produce digital content from scene of story for use online
- Ability to be flexible in working hours to work around breaking news
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You will need to submit a demo along with your CV
- You will have a broadcast journalism qualification, and demonstrable experience of broadcasting both live and pre-recorded content
- Experienced at ‘on-location’ reporting, bulletin editing and online/digital production
- You should have an understanding of the region in which you are working and the key issues facing that region.
- Excellent networking skills are required; you should be contributing to an effective contacts database
- You will be able to create original news content that will appeal to our local and national audiences on-air and on-line
- You'll be compliant with legal and broadcast regulations, and consistent with Global's values and standards
- You'll be using a full range of multi-media tools to research, write, and edit online news, as well as creating engaging content on our Twitter accounts complete with videos and audio links
- A full, clean UK Driving Licence is crucial
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global