Your team: talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station. From World Cups and European Championships to the Premier League and the Champions League, through to Test cricket and world class boxing, the talkSPORT network is at the heart of the world’s major sporting events.
Your role: As a Broadcast Journalist, you will generate sport story ideas and set up items and guests to create thought-provoking sport radio that is a compulsive and engaging listen and also appear in the show as requested.
Day to day you will:
- Create and deliver engaging on air and online content
- Come up with sports-based ideas for interviews and discussions
- Consider ways we can also develop ideas for social and The Edge
- Research, plan and write briefs for guests and stories
- Liaise with the production and technical teams to edit audio
- Provide links between programmes
- Demonstrate broadcast experience of sports presentation geared for a young adult audience
- Help turn around the best sports lines for digital and external impact
- Work on special projects as needed
- Appear on other Wireless shows as a way of building your experience and promoting the talkSPORT brand
What we’re looking for from you:
- A sports journalist who loves the sports and oozes ideas on a daily basis
- A passion for radio production and an ear for great audio
- Ability to turn your hand to social video content and be comfortable behind the mic and in front of the camera
- A creative mind and ability to think differently
- A good researcher, performance skills, clear voice and interviewing skills
- A personable, confident manner and the ability to generate original ideas
- You thrive in fast-paced environments and are able to work quickly in small teams
- Used to working closely with other presenters
- A trusted pair of hands you have a reliable understanding of relevant compliance and legal issues
- Excellent knowledge of the current sports environment and endless suggestions for suitable guests
What's in it for you:
We love our business and what we do. We want you to love work as much as we do so we promise to offer on-the-job training and development enabling you to be the best you can be.
How to apply:
Please apply for this position with your CV and send a demo reel to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line TALKSPORT BROADCAST JOURNALIST APPLICATION.
We are Wireless: Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK almost three years ago, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three more Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. This year Graham Norton joined us for weekend mornings and we launched our first pop up station, Virgin Pride. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, UEFA Euros, British & Irish Lions and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Times Radio launched in June 2020 bringing together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the world-class speech radio and podcasting experience of Wireless. talkRADIO is at the forefront of radio broadcasting innovation with many shows streamed live on youtube from our TV equipped studio. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities.
Life at Wireless
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.