Broadcast Journalist/ News Presenter
We are Wireless: Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League and other leading sports bodies to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Virgin Radio UK is the home of The Chris Evans Breakfast show, Graham Norton at the weekends, and the best music Times Radio and talkRADIO are the UK’s most exciting national speech radio services, offering fresh choice in news and current affairs across multiple platforms. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities.
The Team: News Team - producing bulletins for all stations and across on-demand and TV.
Your Role: This is a chance to be part of one of the most exciting newsrooms in UK radio as a Broadcast Journalist / News Presenter, working across talkSPORT, talkRADIO, Virgin Radio and Times Radio. You will create engaging content for bulletins, breaking news on air, creating news lines and engaging audio clips from guests across our network. Reporting to the Head of News you will also be working on multi-platform content across podcasts and TV.
Day to day you will:
- Present news bulletins across all our stations
- Respond to breaking news
- Edit, write and produce news stories for bulletins
- Undertaking relevant background news research
- Maximise content from all Wireless platforms
- Liaise with other members of the production and technical teams
- Breakfast and afternoon bulletins with some weekend working possible
What we’re looking for from you:
- You will have an outstanding knowledge of current affairs and able to use your initiative to produce first-class stories
- A journalism qualification or substantial/proven experience in a newsroom environment working on a radio/TV news desk - both reading live and pre-recorded bulletins as well as reporting
- A strong broadcast voice and sharp writing skills
- A very proactive attitude
- Have an understanding of Ofcom’s broadcasting guidelines and media law
- Creative mind with an ability to think differently and bring fresh ideas and perspectives to stories
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships at all levels
Please apply via this site and then send an email to email@example.com that includes the following:
- Cover letter (outlining your demonstrable ability to run a radio news desk and your understanding of our output)
- Head shot or video reel
- Voice Demo
- Links to your social media
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.