Broadcast Network Engineer
Reporting to Senior Broadcast Engineer
The seeds of Bauer Media’s radio business were planted in 1990 with the acquisition of London dance station KISS FM. Today we operate 70 commercial, local, national and digital stations in the UK, including Absolute Radio, Magic, KISS and the Hits Network of 22 iconic local brands, situated in cities across the UK.
The Broadcast Technology Team is responsible for all technology related to creating and distributing our commercial radio content throughout the UK – with expertise in areas ranging from studio technology to radio playout systems.
Focus of the role
We are currently recruiting for two network engineers to work within a new team within our Radio businesses focused on the IP Network that underpins much of our broadcast technology.
The role will involve a mix of project and operations work. Of particular note there are several exciting projects underway to refresh the national Bauer network and introduce new capabilities such as SD-WAN and Multicast. Training will be provided where appropriate in all relevant systems.
- Be a key member of network related project teams – providing expertise in IP Network design, implementation and ongoing support
- Work closely with our National and Regional Technology teams and other teams within Bauer to diagnose and resolve faults with our network infrastructure
- Support and improve the Broadcast networks to improve reliability, performance and provide additional features/capabilities as necessary.
- Recommend, design and implement network upgrades to continually improve the local and wide area network infrastructure
- Implement and maintain detailed proactive monitoring of network equipment and related systems, working with third party vendors where applicable.
- Be responsible for handling a broad range of support requests relating to running the Bauer local and wide area networks. From configuring access switches and diagnosing complex routing problems to firewall changes and incident investigations, the role involves a broad range of technologies and systems.
- Liaise with external and internal contacts to fault-find and optimise our Wide and Local Area Networks, with a particular emphasis on availability and reduced latency.
You should already have experience working independently on a range of network technologies so will likely have experience in a number of similar roles.
You will have the ability and confidence to deal with a range of incidents and requests with minimal guidance working at least some of the following:
- Cisco hardware including Switches, Firewalls and Routers such as Cisco 2960 stacks, 3850 and Nexus (Non-Cisco skills will be considered)
- Cisco IOS, VLANs, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP and comfortable working on resilient systems in high-availability environments
- Familiarity with planning, designing and implementing quality of service across LAN and WAN links to effectively prioritise critical data
- WAN technologies including point-to-point links and MPLS
- Monitoring systems such as Solarwinds, Nagios, Zabbix or others
- Data centre processes including space and power management
- Dealing directly with carriers and other third parties to resolve problems
- VPN technology and processes including SSL and IPSEC
- Cisco or similar wireless systems
Experience of working in a 24/7 Broadcast Environment with Radio Broadcast systems, Audio or Video over-IP networks, multicast or SD-WAN would be considered a distinct advantage.
To apply please use our careers portal at https://careershub.bauermedia.co.uk/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=199 (Applications by email cannot be accepted)