Chief Reporter Birmingham
Bauer Radio News is looking for an outstanding and ambitious Chief Reporter to join our team based in Birmingham, who will bring in exclusive stories and help lead and mentor junior reporters.
The successful candidate will spend time building strong relationships, investigating issues of interest to our target audience and generating creative original stories which will help us set the news agenda both locally and across our national brands.
By working with Bauer you will have the opportunity to create campaigns, develop special investigations and collaborate with a passionate team, based right across the UK. We tell stories from the perspective of people living them and the places where they happen and we are authentic in our delivery.
You should ideally have a strong on air voice to be able to broadcast from the scene of breaking news and events with clarity and authority and you must have an enthusiasm and a hunger to be that first person on the scene.
This senior role has reporting and newsgathering as its focus, but there is also opportunity to read news bulletins on occasion. While the priority will always be on-air, experience doing on-camera work is a bonus, as is an understanding of working across different platforms.
You will work closely not only with the news team in the West Midlands, but also with our news network across England and the UK. You will be joining a passionate, hard-working team who care deeply about keeping our listeners up to date. You must have a genuine interest in news, current affairs and sport to fit this role. News never stops and is a significant part of Bauer’s daily output, keeping our radio stations connected to the communities we broadcast to.
- Produce multimedia content on multiple news stories for on-air, the news pages of our website and our social media channels.
- Have sharp enough judgement to be across the news agenda and react to breaking news in your patch.
- Report from the scene of news events across all platforms.
- Work with other team members across England and the UK to maintain news diaries and plan ahead to enhance our news output in all day parts.
- Secure exclusive, original stories targeted to our audience
- Support and mentor junior members of the team
- Build strong reliable contacts in patch
- Work reactively and proactively to ensure we are setting the news agenda both locally and nationally.
- You will deliver reports with authority and integrity and have the passion and ability to react to breaking news and uncover original stories across the news patch, working across a range of on-air, online and social platforms.
- You should have a recognised journalism qualification, a full driving licence and will be able to work calmly and accurately, ensuring everything you broadcast or put on social media is legally sound, Ofcom-compliant, accurate and balanced.
- You will be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding and experience of modern audio/video broadcasting platforms and how they can assist our teams in delivering news content to a wide range of audiences.
- You should be able to demonstrate a knowledge of the kinds of stories which will resonate with our audiences.