Co-Editor: The Intelligence
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist is looking for a co-editor to participate in the production of our flagship daily podcast, The Intelligence. The co-editor will play a key role in helping shape the editorial direction of The Intelligence and will work with the team to get the podcast out every day on time.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Helping determine what topics will be covered in The Intelligence on a daily basis
- Helping manage a team of producers
- Assigning stories
- Deciding on pitches
- Guiding producers with the angle of audio pieces
- Sculpting the narrative and structure of audio pieces
- Offering detailed feedback on recording briefs and scripts, rewriting as necessary
- Assisting with the production schedule to ensure that all stories are being covered and that all producers have an even work flow
- Checking final pieces to ensure they are 100% accurate and in line with Economist style
- Maintaining The Economist’s high editorial standards
- Liaising with editors and foreign bureaux journalists on stories
- Overseeing the production of The Intelligence every morning to ensure that all stories are completed to a high quality and that the show is put out on deadline
Candidates should have a love of podcasting and be familiar with emerging American trends and passionate about finding new, creative ways of storytelling. A wide knowledge of current affairs and ability to understand and represent a range of views is essential. The Economist is looking for someone who has experience in narrative storytelling and is comfortable working under daily deadline pressure. Attention to detail, a strong work ethic, professionalism and intra-office skills are a must.
- Excellent news judgement is essential
- In-depth knowledge of current events
- Background in journalism
- Detail oriented
- A stickler for accuracy and ability to fact check on deadline
- Engaging script writer
- Able to work diplomatically with a wide variety of people
- A portfolio that reflects an innovative use of sound and a creative approach to news
- Understanding of podcasting styles
- An understanding of The Economist’s distinctive style
- Experience managing a team
Please submit a cover letter, CV and three links to your work, explaining your role in in each piece to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job role you are applying for in the subject line of the email and mention where you saw this advertisement in your cover letter.
This job is based in London. All applicants must have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.