We are Wireless: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020, Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. And talkRADIO is redefining speech broadcasting on digital audio platforms, connected TV and beyond.
The Team: talkRADIO is the Home of Common Sense where Britain's best presenters deliver big opinions on the stories that matter to the nation.
Your Role: As a Content Editor, reporting to the Programme Director - you will have substantial experience of working in a busy newsroom and be completely immersed in the news agenda and able to make constructive editorial decisions. This role involves shift work, evenings and weekends
Day to day you will:
- Lead the charge on which stories and topics the station covers and you’ll work to ensure the station is on top of breaking stories, embargoed releases and key dates in the news diary.
- A key contact for political parties and be in regular contact with a number of press offices on a daily basis, distributing and prioritising them to relevant shows.
- Across the latest events and reports from parliamentary committees, think tanks, leading charities and can spot a breaking story from a press release.
- Excellent editorial nous and can predict which stories will make the next day's front pages
- Direct the setup of talkRADIO’s Breakfast programme and help book significant guests across the schedule with the assistance of the political editor, showbiz editor, set up producers and on-air producer.
- Liaise directly with presenters about any content related queries (such as interview questions or topics to address) and be a point of contact for any show-related problems or incidents.
- Liaise with the Social Media Editor about ways in which on air content can be maximised to attract the greatest number of viewers across social channels, but with a firm understanding of OFCOM, media law and the station’s reputation.
What we’re looking for from you:
- A passion for radio production and an ear for great audio
- A creative mind, ability to think differently and attention to detail.
- Excellent communications skills
- Up to date with current news environment and interesting guests
- You thrive in fast-paced environments and are able to work quickly in small teams
- Used to working closely with presenters
- A trusted pair of hands you have a reliable understanding of relevant compliance and legal issues
- A creative mind and ability to think differently
- Confident working in a fast-paced environment and able to react positively to change
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.