Deputy Managing Editor, Capital XTRA
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Deputy Managing Editor, Capital XTRA
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to the Capital Brand Managing Editor.
Overview of job
The Deputy Managing Editor is a key leadership role within the Capital XTRA programming team, across all broadcast and digital platforms. Supporting the Brand Managing Editor in the running of Capital XTRA's programming team, you'll be helping to execute the programming vision across all of Capital XTRA's platforms. You'll have an ear and eye for detail, and the ability to empower and help lead the team of presenters and producers. You'll have a fantastic understanding of all of the broadcast and digital platforms on which Capital XTRA exists, and a hunger to innovate and evolve this outstanding brand. You'll have a keen commercial understanding and a proven track record for devising and delivering great on air promotions and programming initiatives.
3 best things about the job
- Capital XTRA is one of the UK’s fastest growing radio stations playing the freshest hip-hop, grime, garage, R&B and afrobeats. The successful candidate will have the ability to exercise a solid understanding of the associated culture and influences in a key leadership role.
- You’ll be plugged in to the wider Capital brand team, and exposed to many exciting projects right across Global.
- You’ll work with some amazing people and build great relationships across Global and the wider industry
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have
- Begun to develop a strong leadership role with Capital XTRA presenters and producers.
- Developed a healthy understanding of the Capital XTRA brand and wider Capital Brand operation.
- Worked with presenters and producers to develop their contributions to the station, and begun to identify potential new talent.
- Taken the lead in great creative planning sessions.
- Worked with the brand digital team to help deliver outstanding content for Capital XTRA on our social platforms.
- Helped plan, devise and implement exciting commercially branded content.
Responsibilities of the role
- You’ll be leading and mentoring the presentation and production team to a high standard.
- You’ll play a leading role in discovering and developing new talent for the future.
- You'll be utilising your creativity to plan and devise unique programming and digital content for the station,working right across the schedule.
- You’ll have a keen eye for crafting great PR for Capital XTRA.
- You’ll know and love Capital XTRA, and will help develop and drive the vision for the station. You’ll know exactly what our target audience loves, their music preferences, their lifestyle choices and you’ll put this understanding at the heart of our programming.
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- An ability to grasp and help develop the vision for the station
- A proven track record leading teams and working with high level talent
- Great leadership skills, exhibiting a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Extensive show production experience
- Music programming experience, with an understanding of RCS Selector
- Experience managing content and strategy across digital platforms, integrating this with broadcast
- Be commercially minded, with an ability to find programming solutions to commercial briefs
- A keen ear and eye for detail and quality control across all platforms
- High organisational ability, with experience managing a fast paced workload
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global