Deputy Managing Editor, LBC News & Global’s Newsroom
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Deputy Managing Editor, LBC News & Global’s Newsroom
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Managing Editor, LBC News & Global’s Newsroom
Overview of job
LBC News is the UK’s first and only 24-hour rolling news radio station and one of the fastest growing radio brands in the UK. The Deputy Managing Editor is a key leadership role that reports to the Managing Editor. They will play an essential role in the management of the LBC News programming team and help to execute the programming vision across all platforms.
You'll have an ear and eye for a great story, and the ability to motivate and help lead our team of presenters, producers, and journalists in Global’s newsrooms across the UK. You'll also have a proven track record in delivering unmissable programming moments.
You'll have an excellent understanding of all the broadcast and digital platforms on which LBC News and Global’s Newsroom exist, and a hunger to innovate and evolve these exciting brands.
3 best things about the job
- This is a hands-on programming role so there’s plenty of opportunity for creative story telling whilst also being able to help shape the future of the brand with the Managing Editor.
- The role is multifaceted, and no two weeks are the same, as you’ll undertake a variety of exciting and interesting projects.
- You’ll get to work with a talented team of journalists, both in front and behind the mic, and across different platforms.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have
- Started to develop a strong leadership role with LBC News presenters and producers.
- Developed a healthy understanding of the LBC News brand and the Global’s Newsroom operation.
- Worked with presenters, producers and broadcast journalists to develop their contributions to the station and begun to identify potential new talent.
- Taken the lead in great creative planning sessions.
- Worked with the brand digital team to help deliver outstanding content for LBC News on our social platforms.
Responsibilities of the role
- Managing special projects –including outside broadcasts and major stories. The Deputy Managing editor of LBC News & Global’s Newsroom is at the heart of content development and creation.
- The Deputy Managing Editor will work with Global’s Newsrooms across the UK to ensure day to day deliverables are understood & achieved.
- You’ll assist the Managing Editor with presenter & producer support and development to ensure top class broadcasting across the schedule.
- You’ll be responsible for the discovery and development of new talent.
- Working closely with the Managing Editor, you’ll develop existing concepts, and create innovative ideas that grow reach, and increase listening hours across LBC News.
- You’ll assist the Managing Editor in evaluating industry standard audience measurement metrics.
- Being at the centre of newsroom logistics and operations is key to the role.
What you will need
- Considerable experience working at a senior level in a broadcast environment.
- You’ll need to be an excellent journalist with a full understanding of media law and the Ofcom broadcast code.
- A history of establishing good relationships with presenters, producers and journalists, and being able to help them achieve their very best.
- Experience managing and integrating content across multiple platforms.
- Exceptionally high level of organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience of leading a team is preferred.
- A good understanding of industry metrics, with the ability to read and evaluate numbers.
- You should have strong relationships right across the industry.
- The Deputy Managing Editor of LBC News & Global’s Newsroom should love working as part of a small team with the Managing Editor, as well as the wider LBC team, whilst being self-reliant and able to juggle multiple projects to a high standard.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global