Deputy Managing Editor – Radio X
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Deputy Managing Editor, Radio X
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Managing Editor, Radio X
Overview of job
Radio X is one of the most exciting brands in the country, home to world class broadcasters and the very best indie and rock, The Deputy Managing Editor is a key leadership role that reports to the Managing Editor and plays an essential role in the management of the Radio X programming team and helping to execute the programming vision across all of Radio X’s platforms.
You'll have an ear and eye for detail, and the ability to motivate and help lead the team of presenters and producers. You'll have a keen commercial understanding and a proven track record for devising and delivering great on-air promotions and programming initiatives.
You'll have an excellent understanding of all the broadcast and digital platforms on which Radio X exists, and a hunger to innovate and evolve this exciting brand.
3 best things about the job
- This is a hands on programming role so there’s plenty of opportunity to get creative and get your hands dirty whilst also being able to help shape the future of the brand with the Managing Editor.
- The role is multifaceted, and no two weeks are the same, as you’ll undertake a variety of exciting and interesting projects.
- You’ll get to work with incredible talent, both in front and behind the mic, and across different platforms.
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have
- Begun to develop a strong leadership role with Radio X presenters and producers.
- Developed a healthy understanding of the Radio X brand.
- Worked with presenters and producers to develop their contributions to the station and begun to identify potential new talent.
- Taken the lead in great creative planning sessions.
- Worked with the brand digital team to help deliver outstanding content for Radio X on our social platforms.
- Helped plan, devise and implement exciting commercially branded content.
Responsibilities of the role
- Managing special projects – from one-off specials with high profile hosts, to outside broadcasts, and station wide initiatives, the Deputy Managing editor of Radio X is at the heart of content development and creation.
- The Deputy Managing Editor will work across departments to ensure deliverables are understood & achieved on projects, big and small.
- You’ll assist the Managing Editor with presenter & producer support and development to ensure top class broadcasting across the schedule.
- You’ll be responsible for the discovery and development of new talent.
- The Deputy Managing Editor should be commercially minded with a track record of delivering high concept ideas with new and repeat clients.
- Working closely with the Managing Editor, you’ll develop existing concepts, and create innovative ideas that grow the station’s reach, and increase its hours.
- You’ll assist the Managing Editor in evaluating industry standard audience measurement metrics.
- Being at the centre of station operations and logics is key to the role.
What you will need
- Considerable experience working in audio/show production with an excellent ear for audio, for both presenter led content and sound design.
- A history of establishing good relationships with high profile talent, and being able to help them achieve their very best.
- Experience managing and integrating content across multiple platforms.
- Excellent work ethic, with a proactive drive to see results.
- Exceptionally high level of organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience of leading a team is preferred.
- A good understanding of industry metrics, with the ability to read and evaluate numbers.
- You should have strong relationships right across the industry.
- You should have good working experience of the studio systems at Radio X/Global.
- The Deputy Managing Editor of Radio X should love working as part of a small team with the Managing Editor, as well as the wider Radio X team, whilst being self-reliant and able to juggle multiple projects to a high standard.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global