Editor – Times Radio
“We are Wireless. Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK a year ago, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three new Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, the England Cricket Board and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. And talkRADIO has become the destination for punchy political discussion and opinion, reaching more listeners than ever before.
We also create some of the most popular radio in Ireland. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities. We’re investing in the future of digital radio and - with Wireless Studios - we’re at the forefront of the podcasting revolution. All this success is only possible because of the passion, expertise and commitment of our brilliant people.” Scott Taunton, CEO, Wireless
“We are Times Radio. We are a new and innovating voice in national digital radio. Broadcasting live and daily, we will deliver provocative, well-informed, entertaining and useful discussion covering the key stories of the day, and informing the national debate. Launching later this year, we will bring together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times, and beyond, with the world-class speech radio and podcasting experience of Wireless. And we’re looking for the right people to be part of this ground-breaking launch.”Stig Abell, Launch Director, Times Radio
Your role: As an Editor on Times Radio you will be a member of the senior leadership team for the station, taking overall responsibility for sections of the broadcast and digital output as required and providing leadership and direction for staff.
Day to day you will:
- Provide editorial leadership for the on-the-day teams, steering the journalistic coverage of Times Radio, setting the agenda, and ensuring that the right stories are being covered in the right way, to the highest journalistic and creative standards
- Take responsibility for the legal, ethical and compliance aspects of the coverage.
- Identify the news lines and talkable moments from the output and ensure that they are published externally and on the Times Radio digital platforms
- Provide visible leadership for the on-duty teams, giving editorial and organisational direction that is clear, honest and accountable, implementing the agreed vision for Times Radio in a way that is inspiring and meaningful
- Take responsibility for team welfare and performance, listening to and addressing staff concerns, and nurturing the staff to ensure that Times Radio has a culture of high-performing teams
- Work with presenters to help them achieve the objectives for their programme, giving them constructive feedback, hearing their concerns and developing their on-air styles so that they can be confident ambassadors for Times Radio
- Represent Times Radio as needed in an external context, seeking and managing relationships with new partners, seeking new opportunities to grow Times Radio and to attract new staff and broadcast talent.
What we’re looking for from you:
- A great understanding of what makes terrific radio and the ability to communicate that to team members
- Deep understanding of the current news agenda and the nose to pick the best stories that resonate with the audience and make an impact
- Warm inter-personal skills that bring out the best in teams and ensure that the working atmosphere is constructive and positive
- You are used to working with and getting the best out of presenters
- A good ambassador for the brand, you are great at building and nurturing relationships internally and externally
- Deep understanding of relevant compliance and legal issues
What's in it for you?
You will be joining a brand new radio station where we will cover the biggest stories and most engaging talking points, ad break-free. You will help us find informed and likeable guests; working with presenters who are warm and witty - you will contribute to a station that will help listeners hear the world differently.
We’ll also offer you:
• Subsidised gym membership
• Private healthcare
• Extensive & continual internal & external training and development opportunities
• Subsidised cafeteria
• Discounted book store
• Regular in-house speaker events
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.