Times Radio has shaken up the broadcasting firmament since launching in June 2020. As a live news radio station, we have already built up a strong reputation for providing well-informed, thoughtful and intelligent news and discussion, covering the key stories of the day. We have combined the famous journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the radio experience of Wireless to create a station that - according to our first Rajar - already has over 630,000 weekly listeners. We have a world-class line-up of presenters talking to excellent guests, who value conversation over confrontation.
Your role: This role is for a permanent Executive Producer on Times Radio, in the first instance overseeing the award-winning Breakfast show presented by Aasmah Mir and Stig Abell. You will lead every aspect of the show and its team, giving the programme creative and journalistic direction, ensuring it sets the agenda and makes news, as well as studio producing it on a regular basis.
Day to day you will:
- Lead the team and work with the presenters to ensure that each day’s programme is agenda-setting, with the right stories covered in the best way possible
- Come up with suggestions for big-name, news-making guests, as well as topical ideas for debates, stories and features
- Have great contacts to deliver imaginative and well-known interviewees
- Work with on-air presenters to studio produce the live show
- Respond to audience interaction and breaking news during the show
- Manage team members, giving feedback and developing their skills over time
What we’re looking for from you:
- An experienced and respected journalist with a deep understanding of news - particularly politics - and a strong instinct for how to set the agenda on a daily basis
- Many hundreds of hours’ experience making quality live radio
- Strong leadership ability that will inspire and motivate a small yet talented team
- A personable approach and collaborative mindset (Times Radio is at its best when teams work together)
- Experience of working with and getting the best from presenters
- Trusted understanding of relevant compliance and legal issues
What's in it for you?
This is a great chance for the right person to run the most listened-to programme on a talked-about radio station, whose listeners include some of the most influential people in British life. You’ll work with talented, motivated people to shape the national conversation each morning. Thanks to the freshness and agility of Times Radio, you’ll have the ability to shape and influence the output directly on a daily basis. This rewarding role is fast-changing, up-to-the-minute and never dull.
Life at News At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group. We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.