Freelance Broadcast Journalist
We are Wireless. Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three new Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, the England Cricket Board and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Our station portfolio also includes one of world's fastest growing stations talkRADIO and the acclaimed Times Radio, with its groundbreaking format for a speech station.
Your Role: As a Freelance Newsreader / Broadcast Journalist you will be working across talkSPORT, talkRADIO, Virgin Radio and Times Radio. You will create engaging content for bulletins, turning around copy to tight deadlines, responding quickly to breaking news and creating news lines and engaging audio clips from guests across our network.
What we’re looking for from you:
You will be passionate and informed about news and/or sport and able to use your initiative to produce first-class stories.
- A journalism qualification or substantial/proven experience in a newsroom environment working on a radio/TV news desk - both reading live and pre-recorded bulletins as well as reporting
- A strong broadcast voice and sharp writing skills
- Extensive knowledge of current affairs and sport
- Have an understanding of Ofcom’s broadcasting guidelines and media law
- Creative mind with an ability to think differently and bring fresh ideas and perspectives to stories
- A passion for radio production and an ear for great audio
- Happy in a fast-paced environment and able to work quickly in small teams
Please note, having the ability to work and broadcast remotely would also be an advantage.
Only applications with demos will be considered, please upload your demo via the website or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.