Group Director of News
Group Director of News – Communicorp Media
Communicorp Media is Ireland’s premier media company and the home to some of Ireland's leading commercial media brands. In Ireland we are proud to count Newstalk, Today FM, 98FM, Spin 103.8, Spin South West, Off the Ball, AudioXi and GoLoud as the phenomenal brands in our portfolio.
About the Role
Communicorp Media is recruiting an experienced Group Director of News, to lead our news strategy and output on-air and online representing all stations within our group and those serviced by our news network.
In this exciting and fast paced role, the successful candidate will be a strong and dynamic leader with a proven track record in the operational and editorial management of a busy national newsroom. You will be abreast of market innovations and will develop a strategy that puts Communicorp News in a market-leading position in news audio.
Your Responsibilities, Skills and Qualifications
What you’ll do:
- Develop and direct news strategy across all platforms including FM, online, in-app and voice.
- Manage the Network News contract and staff, ensuring great relationships with external stakeholders, the terms of the contract are fulfilled, and the maximisation of news input from non CGL stations.
- Manage Communicorp Group’s news team including on-air and digital journalists, reporters, readers, and network news staff.
- Ensure consistent, high quality delivery and content that is in line with the content strategy of each particular brand.
- Work with the broadcast teams across the group to identify opportunities for news output to feature as part of the programming content.
- Innovate with new formats, reporting styles and delivery executions to secure a market leading position in news audio.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with journalists, political parties, business communities, Gardai, and councils to ensure access to and supply of information.
- Monitor news developments and ensure the delivery of original, engaging, high impact journalism.
- Identify, recruit, develop and retain the best news people.
- Schedule staff rosters and deploy resources to ensure quality output in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance at all times with all BAI requirements and regulations.
- You have at least three years’ experience in a senior editorial role in a busy national newsroom.
- You live and breathe news and current affairs.
- You have impeccable editorial judgement.
- You have experience in breaking news stories that drive the national news agenda.
- You have established contacts across media, politics, business and all forms of Irish public life.
- You have an expert level understanding of defamation law and BAI Codes.
- You are creative and innovative – always looking at what’s different, better or next.
- You lead with passion – and have excellent people management skills.
- You have outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- You have a qualification in Journalism.
Our Culture & Rewards
At Communicorp Media we strive to be the most innovative, dynamic and best in class media outlet in Ireland. We want more people to spend more time with us. We want to talk to every person in Ireland, every single week, through one of our channels. To make this happen, our team is made up of some of the most passionate and creative people you’ll find. Working here means no two days are the same. The work by its nature is fast paced, and it can be intense - we work really hard – but we are all here because we truly love what we do.
We are committed to promoting, developing and facilitating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace culture, and to encourage and support the creation and distribution of content that reflects the diverse audience in Ireland.
Communicorp Media employees believe that the most important thing in creating a happy, respectful workplace culture is to simply act like the kind of person you would like to work with. Our employees believe in a guide to work by ‘Be Sound, Be Fearless, Be United and Be Accountable’. We live by these values every day.
Closing date: 25th December