Head of Audio News
DC Thomson Media has a rare opportunity for a talented and ambitious broadcast journalist to join our progressive and dynamic news team whilst taking the next step into management.
Our stations - Original 106, Kingdom FM and Pure Radio Scotland - have seen record audience growth over the last year and aim to be market-leading radio stations.
News, sport and the local issues of the day form a key part of what makes our radio stations sit at the heart of their communities and why our stations are loved by their listeners.
The role will principally be leading the news team with occasional news reading and content gathering, and the ideal candidate will have strong voice delivery skills with an air of authority, distinctiveness and credibility.
On a wider level this is an opportunity to join Scotland's award-winning, leading news organisation, DC Thomson.
- Leading a team of four, you will be expected to explore and develop new collaborative opportunities within the wider organisation, working closely with both the head of radio and the recently formed live news teams in print and digital.
- Leading the team responsible for delivering all news and sports content across DC Thomson Media's radio division.
- Ensuring all bulletins are delivered on time and to the required standard, as agreed with the Head of Radio and Programme Controllers.
- Updating the stations' websites and social media pages with breaking news and articles to complement the on-air product, including the production of video packages.
- Taking on line management responsibilities for the broadcast news and sport team, including performance reviews, training and monitoring of individual and team KPIs.
- Managing rotas, freelance budgets and other editorial costs (e.g. travel and entertainment).
- You will be experienced and qualified in broadcast journalism with a sound knowledge of the regulatory and legal framework required to deliver high impact, relevant and impartial news bulletins.
- You must be comfortable in a fast-paced and demanding news environment, with the ability to make crucial decisions about stories and content whilst taking a lead role in the wider news and content strategy.
- You will have a background in leading, coaching, and managing people, enabling them to fulfil their potential.
- You must have a driving licence, be willing to work early mornings and occasional weekends.
This role works across our radio portfolio broadcasting form Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Kirkcaldy and would suit candidates who are located within a reasonable travel distance to Dundee or Kirkcaldy.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com
For further information, please visit dcthomson.co.uk/vacancies
Closing date for applications is Friday 25th June 2021