Journalist, BBC Radio Newcastle (2 Positions)
Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
• Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research,
write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional
• May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
• May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
• Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial
• To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of
video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit
and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
• To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure
that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
• Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as
• To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the
audiences we serve.
• To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as
deadlines, staffing and resources available.
• To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
• Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
• At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
• Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques.
• Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the
BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the
• Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
• Understands how a team works effectively.
• Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
• Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual
differences can benefit the BBC.
• Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one
time, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting
• Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy,
clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
• The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet
deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
• An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.