News Presenter - Permanent Position
We are Wireless: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020 Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. And talkRADIO is redefining speech broadcasting on digital audio platforms, connected TV and beyond.
Times Radio has shaken up the broadcasting firmament since launching in June 2020. As a live news radio station, we have already built up a strong reputation for providing well-informed, thoughtful and intelligent news and discussion, covering the key stories of the day. We have combined the famous journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the radio experience of Wireless to create a station that - according to our first Rajar - already has over 630,000 weekly listeners. We have a world-class line-up of presenters talking to excellent guests, who value conversation over confrontation.
The Team: Wireless News is growing at an exciting moment in News UK’s history. The team delivers world class news and sport bulletins across our national radio stations as well as live two-ways on breaking stories and a variety of news and sport podcasts. Our broadcast journalists are the bedrock of the stations’ credibility and work together to ensure every story is covered. The team is agile in reacting to major news events and dynamic in how it covers them. Working hand-in-hand with talkTV, an expanded newsroom at talkRADIO, talkSPORT, Times Radio and Virgin Radio will drive the national news agenda in 2022 and beyond.
Your Role: Times Radio has quickly become must-listen speech radio as it generates headlines and offers its unique analysis of the news. You will be the on-air voice of that news during the station’s biggest shows, commanding the respect of a well-informed audience and your colleagues. Reporting to the Head of News, your experience and contacts will enhance the country’s most exciting airwaves and Wireless News podcasts.
Day to day you will:
- Present the station’s all-important news bulletins
- Report on breaking stories during live programming
- Command the respect of a well-informed audience
- Work with the rest of the Wireless News team to produce the highest quality news scripts and audio across all our stations
- Present, edit and publish the Times News Briefing podcast
- Liaise with Times Radio production to maximise the on-air content
What we’re looking for from you:
- Exceptional news judgement
- Experience of a fast-paced broadcast newsroom
- Razor-sharp clarity of writing, with a style that is creative and concise
- An in-depth knowledge of news and current affairs
- Calmness and speed under pressure
- Fresh ideas of how the news can be covered
- Brilliant audio editing ability
- An understanding of News UK’s diverse media portfolio
Please apply via this site and then send a demo reel to email@example.com
Life at Wireless
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We championdiversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pensionscheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holidayand up to 4 volunteeringdays per year;
- Maternityleave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternityleave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of trainingavailable, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.