Producer, Afternoon Show
Producer – Afternoon Show – 12 Month FTC
We are Wireless: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020, Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. And talkRADIO is redefining speech broadcasting on digital audio platforms, connected TV and beyond.
The Team: talkRADIO is the Home of Common Sense where Britain's best presenters deliver big opinions on the stories that matter to the nation.
Your Role: We're looking for an ambitious and experienced producer who's got great editorial nous and is completely immersed in news and current affairs.
Day to day you will:
- Be responsible for selecting the stories and topics which feature on the day’s programme, and have a great understanding of the sorts of stories which talkRADIO listeners want to hear and what gets the nation talking.
- Liaise with the presenter about how the stories could be approached on air, and you’ll either book the guests or provide a clear steer to the assistant producer on the sorts of guests which should appear on the programme.
- Work with Ian Collins requiring producers to provide a clear focal point of what each programme’s main ‘thread’ is going to be: you’ll be on top of what the day’s big story is, how it’s framed and worded; what the debate is, who the ideal guests are and what would the perfect caller say?
- Have an extensive contacts book ranging from MPs, journalists, academics, and you’ll be very familiar with leading parliamentary committees, think tanks and charities. You’ll know all the key players both in government and in opposition parties and the best way to approach them.
- Be responsible for how the programme appears on air. As talkRADIO continues to lead the industry in its visualisation, you’ll work with the video producer and visual producer. You’ll lead the charge on: what’s in the topic strap; which video clips are played out with audio and when; what underlay is used to provide colour to the item.
What we’re looking for from you:
- You’ll have proven experience of top tier talent management and working in a newsroom where stories, guests and deadlines are constantly changing and having the ability to prioritise.
- You’ll have experience of making tough editorial decisions and have a clear understanding of the news agenda, the OFCOM code and media law.
- You’ll have a fantastic phone manner and email etiquette and an understanding that you’re representing the station whenever you’re speaking with an organisation or booking a guest.
- You’ll have outstanding organisational skills and the ability to put a running order together which could change by the hour. And phenomenal foresight as to what could go wrong and what have you put in place to prevent that from happening.
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.