Producer – SCALA RADIO
Bauer Media Audio UK’s national classical music and arts/entertainment brand SCALA RADIO is looking for a skilled and creative producer to join the production team full time in London.
Scala Radio is one of Bauer Media Audio UK’s newest in the portfolio, providing an engaging music and speech-based format celebrating “Classical Music for Modern Life”. Also taking an interest in arts, culture and entertainment, regular Scala Radio presenters include Penny Smith, Simon Mayo, Mark Kermode, YolanDa Brown, Angellica Bell and Richard Allinson. Presenters of short-term specialist series in 2023 include The Fast Show co-creator Charlie Higson, tenor Alfie Boe, electronic music producer William Orbit and comedians Josie Long, Gyles Brandreth and Suzi Ruffell.
Scala Radio believes that classical music is for everyone, and our aim is to be welcoming and accessible to all. We know that this genre can be daunting to newcomers, and as a result our emphasis is on passion, discovery and how the music makes us feel, rather than academic insight. We focus our output to music-passionate over 40s, and we are aware that the Scala Radio audience’s other preferred stations are BBC Radio 4, Classic FM and BBC Radio 2.
Working as a joint production team with sister brand Jazz FM which together deliver almost 800,000 listeners per week, we have a small but dedicated team of music programmers and producers where there is much camaraderie and passion for what we do. We value authenticity and we have created an atmosphere where everyone is welcome to participate and bring ideas.
The successful applicant will have at least a working knowledge of the classical music world. This encompasses core classical repertoire along with more contemporary music such as film, TV and video game scores. You are not required to have studied music or be an expert in this genre, but we would like to see evidence of an interest in the worlds of culture and the arts, and a demonstrable willingness to learn more about classical music.
You’ll also have a passion for - and experience in - audio content production. You’ll have experience editing audio and operating technical systems required for correct playout of the stations’ live and pre-recorded programming.
The role will involve you working with high profile guests & presenters, and ensuring they comply with media law and OFCOM regulations; the successful applicant will be able to demonstrate experience of building positive working relationships with presenting talent.
You will maintain high editorial and production values and be proactive with creative suggestions for content, shows, talent and event-radio moments.
We’re looking for applicants who have demonstratable experience of professional audio production, who are looking for a new challenge of pitching and producing creative content for a national network.
- Work with presenters to create programmes, scripting elements and directing talent in a studio environment, always getting the best out of them for the listener
- Book guests and music sessions, and produce and edit features for broadcast
- Pitch, develop and deliver creative and entertaining music-based ideas for new on-air features, one-off specials and series
- Work across multiple different pieces of content concurrently with different delivery requirements
- Work closely with the digital team to develop and deliver multi-platform content
- Work at events which may include potential out of hours or weekend work
- Contribute to Scala Radio creative and strategic planning sessions
- Work across commercial activity such as delivering sponsored promotions
What you'll bring
- Creativity and the ability to articulate ideas
- Demonstratable experience of professional audio production
- A can-do positive attitude: You will have experience of keeping a calm head when things get hectic and be able to react quickly to changing events at short notice.
- Professionalism and diplomacy when working with high profile talent
- Good editing skills for production of programmes in systems such as Adobe Audition
- Competency in radio scheduling and playout software – and the ability to transfer from other systems to Bauer systems (RCS/ Zetta).
- A team player with a collaborative approach to working, but also able to manage your own time and work independently
- Strong communication skills – both in person and virtually – with the ability to forward plan
- Excellent organisational and admin skills.
- Good awareness of touchpoints for the music passionate 40+ audiences
- Awareness of radio stations and podcasts that compete with Scala Radio
- Awareness of Ofcom Broadcasting Code.
- Flexibility with hours essential.
Expiry Date 22nd October 2023
Rewards packages at Bauer Media offer a range of salary sacrifice Benefits, such as our pension scheme and flexible holidays, as well as exclusive Perks like great deals and discounts for everyday life.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays + 2 volunteer days
- Internal Bauer Academy – Wide range of learning opportunities to support with your Career Development
- Opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme, tech loan scheme and groups discounts for healthcare insurance
- Discounted subscriptions on Bauer publications (50%)
- Thrive initiatives – Wellbeing at Bauer
- Opportunities to contribute to our Belonging@Bauer and Sustainability initiatives
- Discounted high street vouchers