Producer, Times Radio
Role: Producer, Times Radio
Contract: Full-time permanent
We are Wireless: Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK almost three years ago, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three more Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. This year Graham Norton joined us for weekend mornings and we launched our first pop up station, Virgin Pride. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, UEFA Euros, British & Irish Lions and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Times Radio launched in June 2020 bringing together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the world-class speech radio and podcasting experience of Wireless. talkRADIO is at the forefront of radio broadcasting innovation with many shows streamed live on youtube from our TV equipped studio. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities.
The Team: Times Radio
Your Role: We are looking for an experienced and creative producer to join Times Radio, leading Mariella Frostrup’s afternoon programme team. You’ll be in charge of the show and work closely with the presenter to oversee all the content, run the team, and ensure there is a plentiful supply of fresh ideas for stimulating, original news, current affairs and culture-led content.
This is an important role, taking charge of Mariella Frostrup’s show -- and as a Times Radio producer on a 24-hour news station with a range of programmes, there will be future opportunities to work as a producer elsewhere on the network.
Day to day you will:
- Output produce the programme from our studios in London Bridge
- Lead a small, talented team of assistant producers in generating original, thought-provoking journalistic ideas and putting the programme together four days a week
- Book and produce big name celebrity interviews and newsmaking guests
- Work closely with the Afternoon Editor and presenter to shape and script each day’s programme and work on ideas for occasional special coverage and one-off outside broadcasts
- Manage the team members, giving feedback, direction, motivation and pastoral support as needed..
What we’re looking for from you:
- Experience in producing agenda-setting national radio coverage
- An ear for great audio and an eye for compelling social media content
- Proven leadership ability and excellent interpersonal skills, with experience of both managing teams and working with high-profile presenters
- Wide-ranging contacts book across news, politics and entertainment
- Excellent ideas for original, creative and varied programme content
- Strong technical abilities including audio editing, script-writing and the willingness to learn new systems
- A trusted pair of hands with an excellent understanding of relevant compliance and legal issues
Please upload a cover letter in the files section of your profile outlining why you are interested in this role and what contribution you would bring to Mariella Frostrup's show.
Life at Wireless
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.