Regional News Editor, Global’s Newsroom – East
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Regional News Editor, Global's Newsroom - East
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to News Editor, Regions
Overview of job
This role involves nurturing and developing Global's team of journalists in the East of England and being responsible for all news content produced by that team. The successful candidate will be an experienced broadcast journalist with a proven track record in people management, who can communicate clearly to ensure that relevant content is shared with Global's national brands and maintain relationships with key influencers in the region.
3 best things about the job
- Leading a team in a fast-paced environment as part of a dynamic, forward-thinking company.
- Identifying and training the next generation of passionate broadcast journalists.
- The opportunity to create unique and exclusive content both on air and online.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have:
- Developed a positive working relationship with your line manager and have clear goals in place.
- Shown clear understanding of Global’s brand portfolio as is applies to you and your team, and ensure all content is built to Global standards.
- Developed positive relationships with key people in our London newsroom.
- Put in place regular mentoring sessions with your team.
- Agreed clear and smart individual goals with your team.
- Sourced, produced, and shared exclusive content with LBC and LBC News.
Responsibilities of the role
- Leading, nurturing, and developing Global's Newsroom journalists in the East.
- Ensuring all content produced by the team is OFCOM compliant and to a Global standard.
- Building relationships with key Global staff members to ensure that all relevant news content is shared across our national brands.
- Maintaining and growing relationships with key influencers in the patch.
- Working with universities and colleges to help develop the next generation of passionate broadcast journalists.
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You will be confident managing a team in a pressured and fast paced environment.
- You will have great experience in broadcasting and the ability to mentor team members into sounding fantastic on air.
- You will be aware of the importance of balancing the needs of the individual with the goals of the team.
- You will not be afraid to have difficult conversations when needed, and to know the importance of celebrating success.
- We want you to be passionate about news, and to nurture and encourage the team to investigate and build their own unique and exclusive stories.
- You will enjoy working flexible hours and always strive to complete a task to a high standard.
- You will have a clear understanding of the different Global brands and experience of providing news content for them both on air and online.
- A full, clean UK driving licence is essential.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global