Researcher / Broadcast Assistant
A chance to work with The Times and Sunday Times podcasts.
We are Wireless. Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three new Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, the England Cricket Board and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Our station portfolio also includes one of world's fastest growing stations talkRADIO and the recently launched Times Radio, with its groundbreaking format for a speech station.
Your Role: As a Researcher you will be joining the Stories of our times podcast team. You will create engaging content for bulletins, turning around copy to tight deadlines, responding quickly to breaking news and creating news lines and engaging audio clips from guests across our network.
You are a proactive, organised person who is great at multitasking and you demonstrate initiative everyday. You will be able to create engaging content both on air and on line. Excellent presentation and writing skills are essential as is a flair for delivering stand-out content on social media.
What we’re looking for:
- A self-starter who can demonstrate a love of podcasts.
- A budding journalist who is obsessed by the news and has got fresh ideas for speech radio
- A passion for radio production and an ear for great audio
- A creative mind and ability to think differently
- Audio editing skills helpful (but not essential)
- Knowledge of the current news environment and endless suggestions for suitable guests
- You thrive in fast-paced environments and are able to work quickly in small teams
- A desire to learn
What the job will involve:
- Researching stories and pitching ideas for interviews and discussions
- Cutting clips and writing script for radio bulletins on talkRADIO and Times Radio.
- Creating social media content for the podcast - liaising with the video and social media teams to create the biggest impact possible for the podcast.
- Working with the presenter to write 'two ways' for the breakfast and drive show on Times Radio.
- Finding archive and other sound to compliment episodes.
- Booking guests and recording interviews.
- Offering production support to producers and eventually producing podcast episodes yourself.
Please note we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and passionate about podcasts. A degree or past experience are not essential but a demonstrable love of audio is. We are looking for someone who is hungry to learn and be part of a team.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at Wireless. Alongside pay, we offer:
- Maternity leave of up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave of up 2 weeks full basic salary;
- Life Assurance Benefits of 4 x your Annual Salary
- Wide range of internal and external training available, plus full eLearning access via LinkedIn Learning.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.