SEO/ Live Blogs Writer
The talkSPORT website is viewed by millions of people a month, while we have more than 1.8 million followers on Twitter, a Facebook page with three million likes and a YouTube channel with more than 1 million subscribers.
We are looking for a talented writer who is passionate about sport to join our SEO team at talkSPORT.com.
- As an SEO sports writer, you will be part of a team responsible for delivering traffic to talkSPORT.com through search engines.
- Reporting to the Head of SEO, you will write predominantly about football but will also be up to date with other major sports news and be able to turn your hand to a variety of topics.
- You will live blog football games and major sports events in a creative way, using your SEO knowledge to maximise audience to the website.
- You will also track trends daily, reporting data back to the editorial team, and will help deliver SEO content plans around the biggest events.
- Flexibility and adaptability is key, with an understanding that live sport largely takes place at weekends and unsociable times.
- This role will be based in our offices at London Bridge, although you will be able to work from home on occasion.
Day to day you will:
- Blog the biggest football games and major sports events as they happen
- Write concise explainer articles on sport, incorporating keywords
- Edit articles and headlines using SEO best practice to improve performance
- Generate creative ideas for content based on trends
- Select most impactful imagery to enhance written copy
- Monitor trends and share data with editorial team
What we’re looking for from you:
- Passionate about sports journalism
- NCTJ qualification or similar
- Possess strong writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of football
- Good knowledge and understanding of SEO
- Previous experience of live blogging matches/events
- Excellent attention to detail
- Always up to date with the latest sports news and views
- Flexible and willing to work unsociable hours
We are Wireless: Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK almost three years ago, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three more Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. This year Graham Norton joined us for weekend mornings and we launched our first pop up station, Virgin Pride. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, UEFA Euros, British & Irish Lions and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Times Radio launched in June 2020 bringing together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the world-class speech radio and podcasting experience of Wireless. talkRADIO is at the forefront of radio broadcasting innovation with many shows streamed live on youtube from our TV equipped studio. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities.
Life at Wireless
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at Wireless supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.