Sound Engineer / Sound Designer – 6 month FTC
A chance to work with The Times and Sunday Times daily news podcast.
Job Title - Sound Engineer / Sound Designer - 6 month FTC
Location - This job is 4 or 5 days a week negotiable. It is a remote role but candidates must be based in the UK.
The Times and The Sunday Times now work with Wireless Studios to bring the best original journalism to a wider audience through podcasts and Times Radio. The Times and Wireless Studios are part of News UK.
We are Wireless. Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three new Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, the England Cricket Board and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. Our station portfolio also includes one of world's fastest growing stations talkRADIO and the recently launched Times Radio, with its groundbreaking format for a speech station.
This job is a rare opportunity to work on one of the UK’s most popular news podcasts, Stories of our times. Each day you will combine high quality audio production with creative sound design. You will need a good ear for finding the right music for the right moment. You’ll need to have an intuitive sense of when a section of the programme needs music, and those that should be left as purely voices. Ideally you will have some news experience, so you will be familiar with making last minute changes to our episodes. We have worked with a fantastic sound engineer for a year so will be looking for someone to take up the mantle and bring their own flare to the role.
Day to day:
- Your day will start at 10:30 when you will export our episode out and start working on it. Our programmes are 20-30 minutes in length and go out Monday-Friday. Producers work in an application called Descript and we export to a DAW for mixing.
- Tidying up edits and cleaning the audio, ensuring it sounds as a good to the ear as possible. Of course, as many of our interviewees are recording at home, sound quality can vary.
- You will use our music library to find the perfect music to complement the episodes.
- You will mix the episode to a high standard, but will also think like a producer, considering how the use of sound design can elevate the story.
- At 1730 you will share the episode with the production team, at which point we leave notes for tweaks.
- 1830 the final episode is bounced out and uploaded by a member of the production team via a platform called Acast. The final mix and stems must be saved in our Dropbox.
- Some weeks you will work on a special series, where you will have multiple days to work on a project.
- Our episodes are scheduled to publish 6AM every day.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Confidence mixing 30 minute documentaries/podcasts.
- Experience in Reaper is beneficial, but also fine if you are open to transferring your skills and migrating over from another DAW.
- Newsroom experience preferable, working to tight deadlines in a pressurised environment.
- Experience navigating music libraries.
- Experience working with archive.
- Easy going attitude and happy working with others to complete the podcast each day.
- A musical or composition background is a great added bonus.
- Ideas about the sound of the podcast and how we can continue to improve our overall sound.
Flexible Working: At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace. We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.