Sports Presenter, 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Sports Presenter - 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
We are Wireless: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020 Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. And talkRADIO is redefining speech broadcasting on digital audio platforms, connected TV and beyond.
The Team: Wireless News is growing at an exciting moment in News UK’s history. The team delivers world class news and sport bulletins across our national radio stations as well as live two-ways on breaking stories and a variety of news and sport podcasts. Our broadcast journalists are the bedrock of the stations’ credibility and work together to ensure every story is covered. The team is agile in reacting to major news events and dynamic in how it covers them. Working hand-in-hand with talkTV, an expanded newsroom at talkRADIO, talkSPORT, Times Radio and Virgin Radio will drive the national news agenda in 2022 and beyond.
Your Role: talkSPORT’s avid sports fans know their subject better than any other radio audience, which makes the delivery of sports news on the world’s biggest sports radio station a privilege and a challenge! Your role will be to tell sport fanatics what they don’t already know. Reporting to the Head of News, you will also cover sport for Times Radio and talkRADIO and produce multi-platform content for podcasts and TV.
Day to day you will:
- Write and present sport bulletins on talkSPORT and Times Radio
- Break major sports news live on-air
- Interview key figures at the centre of sport stories
- Broadcast self-generated exclusives
- Ensure the stations are first for sports news by communicating with sporting organisations
What we’re looking for from you:
- Exceptional news judgement
- An imaginative, creative and concise writing style
- Experience covering big stories in a broadcasting environment
- Authority – derived from an in-depth knowledge of sport
- Dogged journalistic passion
- Calmness and speed under pressure
- Brilliant audio editing ability
- An understanding of Ofcom’s broadcasting guidelines and media law
Please apply via this site and then send a demo reel to email@example.com
Life at Wireless
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.