Sports Writer – talkSPORT
Sports Writer - talkSPORT - 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
We are Wireless. Our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which have become destinations for millions of listeners across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Our success is rooted in delivering content our audiences love. Since Chris Evans returned to his spiritual home at Virgin Radio UK a year ago, the whole schedule has seen record audiences, and we’ve launched three new Virgin channels: Anthems, Chilled and Groove. talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station, partnering with the Premier League, the England Cricket Board and many others to deliver live commentaries and analysis from the best in the business. From FM104 in Dublin, to Cork’s 96FM, our Irish local radio brands are distinguished by their connections with their communities.
The Team - talkSPORT Digital:
The talkSPORT website is viewed by millions of people a month, while we have more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter, a Facebook page with three million likes and a YouTube channel with more than 800,000 subscribers.
We are now looking for a talented writer with previous experience of working for a sports website to join the digital team at talkSPORT.com.
Reporting to the website editor, you will be required to write engaging sports news and feature content on a daily basis.
You will predominantly write about football so a strong knowledge of the game is essential, while you will keep track of other sports news too and have the ability to turn your hand to a variety of topics.
You will suggest ideas around the latest talking points in sport, cover games and events in creative ways and help promote talkSPORT positively to a wide audience online.
You will possess excellent writing skills, a flair for storytelling and a strong desire to learn and develop. Flexibility and adaptability is also key, with an understanding that live sport largely takes place at weekends and unsociable times.
Day to day duties:
- Write breaking sports news stories quickly and accurately under pressure
- Source stories that will resonate with a wide audience
- Suggest ideas for original feature content
- Cover football games and live sports events and report on them in creative ways
- Listen to interviews with big-name guests on talkSPORT shows and turn the audio into engaging written content
- Conduct exclusive interviews with sports men and women
- Edit pictures and select most impactful images to enhance written copy
- Take notice of trends and incorporate keywords into headlines
The ideal candidate:
- Passionate about sports journalism
- Previous experience as a sports writer for a popular website
- Skilled writer with ability to edit and proofread
- An NCTJ qualification
- Excellent knowledge of football
- Always up to date with the latest sports news
- Creative mind and an ability to think differently
- Good understanding of SEO
- Adaptable and willing to work unsociable hours
**When applying for this role, please upload an example of a piece of work that you have written in the files section of your profile.**
Life at Wireless
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at Wireless supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.