Broadcast Journalist (Part-Time) – Cardiff
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Broadcast Journalist (Part-Time) - Cardiff
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Regional News Editor
15 hours per week (Thursday and Friday) with additional hours available on an adhoc basis
Overview of job
A fantastic opportunity for a dedicated journalist to join our passionate, hardworking team based in Cardiff Bay on a part-time basis.
Reporting to our Regional News Editor, you'll be delivering local news bulletins for Heart, Capital FM and Smooth Radio stations across Wales as well as providing on-air and on-line content for Global’s national brands like LBC, LBC News, and Classic FM.
You’ll be creative, have a fantastic voice, great writing skills and a good understanding of Ofcom regulations. Experience of producing multiple news bulletins in a busy environment would be ideal.
3 best things about the job
- Working on some of the UK’s largest and most prestigious radio brands!
- A varied and challenging role with plenty of development opportunity in an exciting, ambitious company.
- The opportunity to create unique and exclusive content both on-air and online.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have:
- Created and presented news bulletins across our Heart, Capital FM and Smooth Radio stations in Wales.
- Produced creative and engaging content as a reporter for LBC and LBC News.
- Sourced and produced original, exclusive content.
- Responded professionally to a big breaking story.
- Developed a full understanding of the different Global brands
Responsibilities of the role
- As a bulletin reader, you’ll have a phenomenal voice, write creatively and be able to deliver outstanding quality, relevant, timely and accurate local news and current affairs content.
- You’ll be part of ensuring stories from our region are heard on our national news talk brand, LBC, and on our rolling news station, LBC News.
- You’ll understand the importance of the full range of social and multi-media tools available in delivering a successful multi-platform news experience for our audiences.
- You’ll have sound legal judgement and be proficient in Ofcom’s broadcast regulations and guidelines.
- You’ll understand the importance of developing relationships with key contacts across our region.
- You’ll have the flexibility to tackle both bulletin reading and reporting shifts as required.
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You will be confident working on your own and under the guidance of your Senior colleagues to provide on-target, agenda-setting, news content.
- You will be passionate about news, and eager to investigate and create your own unique and exclusive stories!
- You will have a commanding on-air presence and be confident in your ability to, if required, report live into LBC and LBC News.
- Ideally, you will have experience of producing and presenting news bulletins.
- You will enjoy working flexible hours and always strive to complete a task to a high standard.
- A knowledge and understanding of the key issues affecting the lives of people in our region.
- A full, clean UK driving licence is essential
- Fluent Welsh speaker desirable but not essential
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global