Junior Broadcast Engineer
We are Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company, which is wholly owned by News UK and Ireland Limited. Our radio stations include talkSPORT, the world's biggest sports radio station and global audio partner of the Premier League, alongside popular national digital stations talkSPORT 2, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio - home of the Chris Evans Breakfast Show
The Technology & Engineering department is a key area within Wireless and is divided into three sub sections namely Broadcast, Enterprise and Digital.
Broadcast Engineering are responsible for the highly complex studio systems to ensure continuous and uninterrupted broadcast is maintained. Above all, we want to help make great radio.
The Enterprise Technology function exists to provide expertise to run, maintain and build our internal applications and systems; as well as to provide IT services to assist and support Wireless staff in undertaking their roles.
Digital is responsible for the creation and delivery of consumer products on the web, tablet, mobile and other online products using our brands.
Reporting to the Head of Broadcast Technology and further guided day-to-day by the Lead Broadcast Engineer, you will be responsible for the support, fault management, capability and readiness of all national broadcast systems and network.
- You will provide a customer-service based support approach for all Broadcast technology consumers, liaising with other News UK departments as required to deliver a holistic support experience for staff using Broadcast technology.
- Routine and essential maintenance of broadcast hardware and software systems.
- Support the technical planning, risk assessment and operation of outside broadcasts and events.
- Working with third-party support providers when required to ensure prompt fault resolution and/or hardware replacement
- Responsible for participating in and upholding Change Management protocols for all Broadcast technology changes
- Contribute to ensuring the general upkeep of the studio areas.
- Working collaboratively with News UK Service Desk and various other Technology teams to both procure and provide joint support initiatives
We are looking for someone who has some knowledge of and experience with broadcast media technologies and a real passion for developing their career. You should be comfortable working with Microsoft servers and have understanding of Local and Wide Area Networks and IP routing.You have the ability to rapidly acquire new skills and to thrive in a technically complex and fast-changing environment.Desirable skills: Having an awareness of Axia Audio equipment, Livewire, RCS Software, including Zetta and G Selector, Burli Software and Broadcast Bionics suite of solutions would be beneficial
- An understanding of professional analogue and digital studios and audio paths
- Ability to function in a self-directed environment.
- Good interpersonal skills for written, oral and face to face communications, both within Technology and the business.
- A passion for customer service and ensuring prompt resolution of all issues regardless of the ultimate point of responsibility or demarcation
- You would be expected to develop an awareness of Wireless’ business plans and organisation, including key users of technology and their needs.
- Having an awareness and understanding of technology initiatives, projects and emerging systems.
- Full UK driving licence is desirable
- Working for some of the biggest broadcast media companies in the UK
- Extensive & continual internal & external training and development opportunities
- Commuter Loans
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Subsidised gym membership.
- Subsidised cafeteria.
- Discounted book store.
- Regular in-house speaker events.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual's potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.