News & Sports Editor WLR FM
WLR FM is currently recruiting for the position of News and Sport Editor.
Reporting to the Programme Director, the successful candidate will join a multi-award-winning team that has a long and distinguished heritage focusing on producing quality, trusted and forward-looking local news and sports content.
The Editor will manage and develop a content strategy consistent with the brand, values, market strengths and the development potential of WLR FM.
Your team of news and sports presenters/reporters covers all things Waterford each day delivering first class hourly bulletins and online content for WLR FM.
The successful candidate will be an experienced and respected journalist with goals and values aligned with WLR FM. This experience will be allied with a successful track record of managing a team with a key focus on digital development.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a management style that will set the strategic editorial direction for the organisation as well as the resolve and resilience to implement and deliver approved goals.
It is essential the candidate holds professional journalistic experience and sound editorial judgement within news and current affairs broadcasting or publishing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the gathering of news content for radio and digital platforms, leveraging the use of digital tools to enhance WLR News and Sport.
- Supervises personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Ensures compliance with the CNAM Code of Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality in News and Current Affairs
- Generates assignments and evaluates news leads and news tips to develop stories.
- Gathers and verifies information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research; ensures the accuracy of news broadcasts.
- Edits news material and reporter submissions; prepares and writes stories according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Interacts with senior management in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programmes to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
- Monitors equipment usage and ensures the maintenance of equipment inventories.
- Works as part of the rotating reading shift which covering 7-days.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The Editor will represent and act as an ambassador for WLR FM and further strengthen its reputation locally and nationally.
Hours: 37.5 / 5-Days / working 3-shift rotation across 7-days.
The closing date for applications is Monday 24th, April 2023
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV, demo, and a cover letter to email@example.com
WLR is part of The Irish Times Group which is an equal opportunity employer.