Head of Newsgathering, LBC
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Head of Newsgathering, LBC
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Managing Editor, LBC News and Global’s Newsroom
Overview of job
LBC has a rare opportunity to join the most exciting news brand in the UK in a senior leadership role. We’re looking for someone to lead our team of reporters and correspondents to uncover gripping original stories that keeps our audience hooked. You’ll be a senior newsroom leader who will manage the newsgathering operation, across LBC and LBC News.
3 best things about the job
- You’ll work closely with some of the most hard-working broadcasters in the business to land agenda setting stories.
- You’ll take the lead in developing a hard-working team of reporters and correspondents.
- You’ll be joining the home of the best audio in the UK, backed up by brilliant multi-platform journalists.
Measures of success
In the first few months, you would have:
- Inspired the team to deliver several examples of high impact journalism.
- Built key relationships with our talented broadcasters and developed a strong leadership role across LBC & LBC News.
- Reviewed and improved the planning and newsgathering operation across the LBC brand.
- Begun to identify potential new talent.
- Strategically identified a key story and worked to deliver a coverage plan across all platforms.
Responsibilities of the role
- Originate impactful and award-winning journalism that will help grow LBC’s reach across our audio and digital platforms.
- Manage a team of producers to co-ordinate Global’s newsgathering operation, with a focus on LBC and LBC News.
- To provide producers and reporters with guidance and support on editorial decision making.
- Lead planning meetings along with other senior newsroom leaders and take responsibility for the deployment of correspondents and reporters across the UK, whilst considering the financial implication.
- Carry out detailed risk assessments when required, to ensure the safety of reporters and producers in the field.
- Manage the logistical and technical requirements for live broadcasts, and live visualised content.
- To build cohesion across the newsroom when it comes to use of resource, guest booking, and reporters.
What you will need
- Extensive experience of leading a planning team, and a proven track-record at a senior-level in News.
- Sound editorial judgement and a thorough grasp of political, social, and economic affairs at a domestic level.
- Demonstrable experience of developing original, high impact stories, then working with reporters to deliver exclusives.
- Proven experience of initiating and managing change, particularly around planning and workflow systems.
- Experience of making editorial decisions and prioritising resource to cover key stories, under pressure.
- You’ll have an excellent knowledge of media law and the Ofcom Broadcast Code.
- News happens 24/7 - this isn’t a ‘normal’ office job and flexibility is key
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global.
Issues with a job listing or this site? Email email@example.com