Managing Editor – Scotland
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Managing Editor - Scotland
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Group Head of Programming Operations and Managing Editor, Regions
Overview of job
A rare opportunity has arisen to lead the team at Global Scotland. As Managing Editor, you’ll be ultimately accountable for the provision of services from our Scotland Broadcast Centre. Key to your role will be developing a strategy to continue to grow audiences for Global’s brands across all platforms.
You’ll utilising your creative flair to develop and share a vision for each brand to stand out amongst its competitors.
An experienced programmer, you’ll help steer the future direction of Global in Scotland with your team and key partners and fulfil Global’s purpose of making everyone’s day brighter. You’ll work with a broad range of talent and will be encouraged to use your knowledge, coaching and management skills to ensure they deliver the best possible performance.
You’ll have ultimate responsibility for our output, maximising the potential for every piece of content, so a laser-focussed attention to detail is fundamental to your role.
This is a unique position in the Scottish media landscape and an exciting opportunity to join the Global family as an integral part of our Glasgow leadership team as we work together to deliver our big ambitions.
3 best things about the job
- You’ll be joining the home of the best audio in the UK working on the most exciting brands in Scottish radio.
- You’ll lead the team in our Glasgow Broadcast Centre in creating memorable, entertaining, and exciting content.
- You’ll share your knowledge, experience, and expertise to coaching some of the leading and most exciting talent in the Scottish media industry.
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have:
- Built great relationships with all staff, presenters and the rest of the Glasgow Broadcast Centre alongside the wider Global Broadcasting & Content team throughout the UK.
- A deep understanding of the Heart, Capital & Smooth brands and a detailed knowledge of the wider Global portfolio.
- Collaborated with colleagues in the digital and video space to revitalise the delivery outstanding content across social media platforms and Global Player..
Responsibilities of the role
- Working alongside the Regional Managing Editor you will help evolve our strategy to grow Global’s audience in Scotland.
- Leading from the front in shaping and developing new content for the future
- Be an inspiring leader for your team, Global and our creative partners.
- You’ll understand what our target audience loves, their music preferences, their lifestyle choices and you’ll put this knowledge at the core of our output.
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- A proven track record in a senior programming position with managerial responsibility.
- Great leadership skills, inspiring creativity and innovation in those around you.
- Commercially minded decision making, with an ability to find creative solutions to commercial briefs.
- Working comfortably with senior partners and high-profile individuals, internally and externally.
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously whilst consistently delivering to a high standard.
- The ability to balance creativity and quality control whilst maintaining a keen eye for detail.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global