Music Programmer, Capital Xtra
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Music Programmer, Capital Xtra
Reporting of the role
This role reports to Capital XTRA Deputy Managing Editor
Overview of job
The Music Programmer is at the centre of any music radio station, and at Capital XTRA, you’ll be the driving force for how the station sounds every day.
You will be working closely with the Capital XTRA Brand Managing Editor, Senior Music Programmer and the Group Head of Music Programming as well as the station’s Programming and Digital Teams.
3 best things about the job
- Capital XTRA is one of the UK’s fastest growing radio stations playing the biggest Hip-Hop, R&B, Grime, Reggae and Afrobeat’s. Your work will reach 1.5 million UK listeners every week!
- Your weekly tasks will be varied, and you’ll play a key role in shaping Capital XTRA’s output.
- You’ll be plugged in to the wider Capital XTRA brand team and exposed to many exciting opportunities to grow and develop your career.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have:
- Fully understood Capital XTRA’s music policy and how the day-to-day musical rollout works, having scheduled each day’s music to the highest possible standard and delivered the logs on time.
- Attended the Capital XTRA Playlist Meetings and have been able to interpret and spot trends working with the regular music research as well as made valuable contribution in discussions about the week’s new releases.
- Been an integral part of the Capital XTRA team, living and breathing the Capital XTRA brand!
Responsibilities of the role
- You will play a vital role in implementing and shaping the musical sound of the station through scheduling the roll-out using GSelector and undertaking essential music-related programming tasks.
- Naturally hard-working and enthusiastic about the music on Capital XTRA, you will also work with internal and external partners to ensure you are across music trends, upcoming releases, and artist activity. This means you will have an important voice in the weekly Capital XTRA Playlist Meeting, joining the team to interpret our research, and help develop the Playlist each week to proactively increase the station's listening hours and reach through its music output.
- You'll set the standard for great music scheduling, always crafting the best music log.
- You'll share responsibility for curating and implementing Capital XTRA’s music output across all platforms, including on air and on the innovative Global Player app.
What will you need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You'll have experience of using music scheduling software such as G Selector or similar music scheduling software.
- You'll understand that, as a commercial radio station, you'll need to operate in a way that benefits our listeners.
- You know Capital XTRA and understand what our target audience loves, their taste in music and their lifestyle choices - and you'll use that knowledge to help make great audience-appropriate radio.
- You'll be able to operate calmly under pressure
- You'll be clear in your communications with colleagues to ensure that the station image is protected, ensuring your work is maintained to the highest level
On top of that, you’ll be someone who:
- Is a strong team player and be comfortable working with well-known presenters, producers and other Capital XTRA and Global staff
- You will have excellent communication skills and exercise the best ways to communicate across the board from management level to presenters and teammates.
- You'll be forward-thinking and proactive and be capable at managing your time well.
- Has an analytical mind and good at problem solving
- You'll be confident when working towards your own personal objectives as well as helping the teamwork towards broader targets
- You’ll have good attention to detail to ensure consistent high-quality work is being produced.
- Ensure all aspects of broadcast law, compliance and the broadcasting code are enforced and adhered to.
- Proficient with RCS and G Selector experience an advantage but not essential.
- Comfortable with sometimes working at weekends or unsocial hours such as early mornings or public holidays (like Bank Holidays, Christmas, and Easter) where needed.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global
Issues with a job listing or this site? Email email@example.com