Senior Broadcast Journalist
Global is one of the world’s leading Media & Entertainment groups. As the UK’s largest commercial radio company, Global reaches more than 32 million people every week including 25 million on the radio alone through its respected media brands; Capital, Heart, Classic FM, Smooth, LBC, Radio X, Capital XTRA and Gold. Global recently moved into outdoor advertising following the major acquisitions of Primesight, Outdoor Plus and Exterion Media. With over 250,000 outdoor advertising points, Global is one of the largest outdoor advertising companies in Europe. The company headquarters is in London’s iconic Leicester Square.
Global’s Newsroom needs an experienced journalist with a fantastic broadcast voice and great writing skills to produce and present news bulletins across the Midlands brands: Heart, Smooth and Capital. As well as produce content for LBC and LBC News.
The successful candidate must have 2 years professional experience in producing pre-recorded and live bulletins, as well as live reporting. You need to be comfortable providing coverage of big and relevant stories across the Midlands as well as on a national platform.
You will have a great passion for news and aware it happens 24/7, so an understanding this isn’t a ‘normal’ office job is essential. You should be willing to take responsibility for being across the news agenda for the patch, and able to demonstrate a proven track record in responding to breaking news stories. Flexibility and versatility in the role is vital.
What you will be doing
- You’ll be “on desk” writing and reading bulletins that are relevant to our audiences as well as thinking about original story ideas and generating prospects for the region.
- You will regularly provide content for Global’s brands, including our national talk stations LBC and LBC News. Knowledge of what makes a local story interesting to a national audience is essential, as is the ability to set the agenda with your on-brand and creative content.
- You will thrive on instigating your own unique, off-diary, exclusive stories. You will need to be an efficient and effective forward planner to ensure we are leading the agenda both locally and nationally. Good local knowledge is a huge advantage.
- You will have excellent networking skills, with experience of contributing to effective contacts databases.
- You should be confident in using a full range of social and multi-media tools to deliver a successful multi-platform news experience for audiences across Global’s brands - on-air and across social media.
- Reporting to the Regional News Editor and Deputy you will play a key role in helping ensure that Midlands bulletins reflect Global’s brand guidelines along with Ofcom’s. You’ll also make sure that everything you do is compliant with legal and broadcast regulations, so a good understanding of media law and awareness of the Ofcom Broadcast Code is vital.
- A full, clean UK Driving License is essential.
Who you will work with:
· Regional News Editor
· Deputy Regional News Editor
· Other Broadcast Journalists
· Managing Editors & Managing Directors
· News Editor Regions
· Head of News Operations
· Head of News Gathering
Once completed send a demo (mp3) to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Applications received without a demo will not be considered.