Music Programmer – Radio X
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Music Programmer, Radio X
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to the Managing Editor of Radio X
Overview of job
The Music Programmer is at the centre of any music radio station, and at Radio X, you’ll be the driving force for how the station sounds every day. You will be working closely with the Managing Editor of Radio X, as well as Global’s Senior Music Programmer and the Group Head of Music Programming. You’ll also liaise closely with the station’s Programming and Digital Teams.
That vital role shaping and implementing the musical sound of the station through scheduling the roll-out using GSelector, and undertaking essential music-related programming tasks.
Naturally passionate, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic about the music on Radio X (and beyond!), you will work with internal and external partners to ensure you are across music trends, upcoming releases, and artist activity. You will lead the weekly Radio X Playlist Meeting, working with the team to interpret research and develop the Playlist each week, as we look to proactively increase the station's listening hours and reach through its music output.
You'll set the standard for great music scheduling, always crafting the best music log.
You'll share responsibility for curating and implementing Radio X’s music output across all platforms, including on air and on the innovative Global Player app.
3 best things about the job
- Radio X is one of the most exciting indie, rock & alternative brands in the UK, and your work will reach nearly 2 million listeners every week
- Your weekly tasks will be varied, and you’ll play a key role in shaping the output of Radio X
- You’ll be plugged in to the wider Radio X brand team and exposed to many exciting opportunities to grow and develop your career.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have
- Fully understood the music policy of Radio X and how the day-to-day musical rollout works, having scheduled each day’s music to the highest possible standard and delivered the logs on time.
- Attended the Radio X Playlist Meetings, with a view to leading, and have been able to interpret and spot trends working with the regular music research as well as made valuable contribution in discussions about the week’s new releases.
- Been an integral part of the Radio X team, living and breathing the Radio X brand
Responsibilities of the role
- Programming the first class daily roll out of music across the Radio X network, making considerations for rotation, flow, era, familiarity, genre and pace
- Leading the weekly playlist meeting, ensuring all documents, research, and music is prepared in advance
- Working closely with on air teams to accompany feature-led programming with appropriate music, ensuring consideration of brand fit, flow, and rotation
- Scheduling of station editorial trails
- Building and managing relationships with record labels and pluggers to ensure you are completely across upcoming releases, as well as feeding back.
- You may be asked to book artists for various events, working closely with various teams and stakeholders across Global
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You'll have experience of using music scheduling software such as G Selector or similar music scheduling software.
- You'll understand that, as a commercial radio station, you'll need to operate in a way that benefits our listeners.
- You know Radio X and understand what our target audience likes, their taste in music and their lifestyle choices - and you'll use that knowledge to help make great audience-appropriate radio.
- You’ll have knowledge of the OFCOM code
- You'll be able to operate calmly under pressure
- You'll be clear in your communications with colleagues to ensure that the station image is protected, ensuring your work is maintained to the highest level
- Established relationships within the music industry would be preferred but not essential
- Some experience of booking live events is also preferred, but again, not essential
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global.