News & Sports Editor
WLR is looking for an experienced multi-platform News & Sports Editor.
WLR is seeking an experienced Editor who can work across all of our platforms, who is able and willing to engage radio listeners and online users. The right candidate will work as part of the WLR team reporting to the Programme Director.
You should understand the process of reporting and journalism especially around broadcasting law and will be the first point of contact regarding any complaints. You are required to be proactive in generating news stories and the way that they are covered. You set the agenda and ensure that it fits in with the style and brand of the station and our listenership.
The right candidate must be active on social media, be able to record and edit video and be able to report live on radio. Must work effectively under pressure and in a fast-paced environment, meeting tight deadlines and maintaining a positive attitude.
Candidate will be required to build Sports segments for news broadcasts on occasions.
- Gather information, conduct interviews, produce, edit and report ‘live’ assigned stories daily.
- Prepares hourly bulletins on Burli while also working as the department editor.
- Establish and maintain news contacts in the community.
- Attend and participate in off-site company-sponsored and community events as assigned by station management.
- Required to work afternoons and evenings, and must be able to work flexible hours.
- Other duties as deemed necessary
Required Skills & Experience
- Strong communication skills
- Be well organised, analytical and have passion for journalism.
- Be able to motivate the team and delegate work to others that are passionate about News and Sport.
- Embrace change and be forward looking in your outlook especially in this digital age of radio.
- Have the ability to plan and manage budgets and rosters.
- Be comfortable giving feedback on performances.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in news or similar radio / press / website / TV role.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of news production equipment and editing software (Adobe / Cool Edit)
- Effective news writing and storytelling ability.
- Ability to identify problems and develop solutions.
- Candidate must have strong journalistic standards and ethics.
Desired Skills & Experience
- A college degree in Journalism, Radio/Television or related field is desirable.
- Must be able to perform well under pressure, meet daily deadlines, and respond quickly to changes.
- Must be organised, highly motivated and ratings-oriented.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have and maintain a good driving record.
Hours: 37.5 working 3 shifts including 1 weekend in 3.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org