Broadcast Journalist - Times Radio + News Podcasts (Part Time) - 12 Month FTC
We are News Broadcasting: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020 Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show.
The Team: News UK Broadcasting is growing at an exciting moment in the company's history. The team delivers world class news and sport bulletins across our national radio stations as well as live two-ways on breaking stories and a variety of news and sport podcasts. Our broadcast journalists are the bedrock of the stations’ credibility and work together to ensure every story is covered. The team is agile in reacting to major news events and dynamic in how it covers them. Working hand-in-hand with talkTV, an expanded radio newsroom at talkSPORT, Times Radio and Virgin Radio will drive the national news agenda in 2022 and beyond.
Your Role: You will be the on-air newsreader and podcast presenter. Though we are looking for the potential to be a flexible voice across our brands we’re primarily focusing on Times Radio for this role. Reporting to the Head of News, your experience and contacts will enhance the country’s most exciting airwaves and podcasts.
Day to day you will:
- Present the stations' all-important news bulletins
- Report on breaking stories in studio and on location during live programming
- Command the respect of a well-informed audience
- Work with the rest of the News UK Broadcasting team to produce the highest quality news scripts and audio across all our stations
- Present, edit and publish the news team's podcasts, including the World in 10 and The Times News Briefing
- Liaise with production teams to maximise the on-air content
What we’re looking for from you:
- Exceptional news judgement
- Significant experience of a fast-paced broadcast newsroom
- Razor-sharp clarity of writing, with an ability to adapt your style for each station
- An in-depth knowledge of news and current affairs
- Calmness and speed under pressure
- Fresh ideas of how the news can be covered
- Brilliant audio editing ability
- An understanding of News UK’s diverse media portfolio
Please apply via this site and then send a demo reel to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘NEWS BROADCASTING - BROADCAST JOURNALIST APPLICATION - YOUR NAME’. Applications without a demo reel will not be considered.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat - they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.