Head of News
Head of News Vacancy
3FM is the Isle of Man’s #1 music radio station and multimedia company. Broadcasting across the island, we offer a dynamic working environment in our state-of-the-art digital studios. We’re the #1 station for under 55’s on the island and boast the largest market share for adults aged 35-55.
With a very successful multimedia presence via our website and respective social media channels, we’re also market leaders in video streaming and production on the Isle of Man.
Broadcasting since 2004, 3FM is loved by listeners and advertisers alike as the FEEL GOOD station on the Isle of Man.
This is a unique opportunity to embrace the Isle of Man way of life, famed for a great work-life balance and set in one of the most stunning locations in the British Isles. Officially the safest place to live in the British Isles, the Isle of Man also offers residents one of the lowest income tax rates in Europe.
Find out more about relocating to the Isle of Man here: https://www.locate.im/
3FM has a rare opportunity to join our successful news department in a senior leadership role. We’re looking for someone to lead our newsroom and keep our audience engaged. You’ll be a senior newsroom leader who will manage the newsgathering operation.
Oversee production and reporting of News On-Air, online and social media platforms.
Direct the assignment of coverage for news stories; and cover and prepare news stories for broadcast.
Broadcast news bulletins on radio & conduct interviews on 3FM's multimedia platforms.
Provide editorial decision making and guidance to ensure compliance and accuracy, and that deadlines are met.
Supervise staff journalists, freelance journalists, student interns & station volunteers.
Responsibilities of the role
- Direct the gathering and production of news content for broadcast and digital platforms, leveraging the use of digital tools to enhance news gathering and dissemination.
- Supervise personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Ensure compliance with station policies and regulations governing news coverage.
- Generate assignments and evaluate news leads and news tips to develop stories.
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation and research; ensure the accuracy of news bulletins.
- Edit news material and journalist submissions; prepare and write stories according to 3FM’s editorial style and format standards, and serve as an On Air News Reader.
- Interact with senior management in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develop and implements project and program to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
- Monitor equipment usage and ensure the maintenance of equipment inventories.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
You will need to have a full clean driving licence and send your CV & covering letter to 3FM’s Managing Director - Jason Quinn via email HERE.
All Applications will be treated in the strictest confidence