Local Democracy Reporter
Radio Exe is to run the BBC Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) contract for Devon from 1 July. We’re now looking for at least two qualified reporters, with an interest in local politics and democratic institutions to join our team based in Exeter.
You’ll provide stories to media organisations who are partners of the BBC LDRS scheme, primarily in text, but also with lots of engaging multi-media content too.
These are not broadcast journalists’ jobs, but they do come with the opportunity to broadcast, and training both from the BBC and Radio Exe. You will travel to report from meetings across Devon and work some anti-social hours. To encourage the widest range of applicants, we welcome job-shares.
You’ll have a big role in a small team on a station that punches above its weight. We’re independent and proud of it. We work hard. We have fun. And we’d love to hear from you if you’re an experienced, qualified journalist who wants to get their stories on air, online and in print.
· To generate multimedia content which engages the public and which meets all standards set by the partnership in terms of quality, impartiality, consistency and legal accuracy
Deliver strong multi-media content every day, focusing on text but also providing images, audio video, and social media, with regular audio bulletins for LDRS partners too
· Write engaging content in a way to drive audiences, including through Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and social media awareness
· Ensure all content, including social media activity, is politically neutral and provides a fair reflection of views
Deliver live coverage when required
· Be capable of broadcasting live or pre-recorded two-way interviews
• Excellent writing skills, up-to-date legal knowledge and shorthand proficiency
· National Qualification in Journalism (NQJ) or similar qualification, or a minimum of two years’ experience as a reporter
· Excellent communicator on online, in print, on air
· Strong understanding of working and processes in local government
· Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
· Proficiency taking images, shooting video and gathering audio
How to apply:
Please send a short statement (400 words maximum) outlining your experience and what you could bring to this role, together with your published writing, ideally focusing on local democracy issues. Email: email@example.com