Radio Producer (for a young person aged 18–25)
This is a six-month, part-time opportunity for a young person aged 18–25.
Devonstream is a not-for-profit online station celebrating audio culture in Devon, south-west England. The station features an eclectic rolling playlist of new and established music, stories, poetry, podcasts and soundscapes. Everything we play has a connection to the county.
Devonstream Sessions will be a series of live performances, recorded for broadcast in professional recording studios. Think Live Lounge, but for up-and-coming Devon artists. We are looking for a producer to lead this project.
The Devonstream Sessions Producer will be the main person organising, managing and marketing the Devonstream Sessions project.
This is a behind-the-scenes project management job. It would suit someone with excellent organisation skills and a desire to build a career in a production or technical role in the music or broadcast industries.
- Marketing, using a variety of techniques:
- Creating a campaign that will reach local musicians, encouraging them to apply to take part.
- Creating a campaign that will reach the wider public, encouraging them to listen.
- Listening to demos and shortlisting a good mixture of artists representing different backgrounds and musical styles.
- Working with selected artists and our studio partners to organise and complete recording sessions on schedule (including all related admin and paperwork).
- Preparing the recorded audio for broadcast and adding it to Devonstream’s playout system.
- Organising their own work and keeping in regular communication with the rest of the team, so we all know what’s going on.
Who are we looking for?
The job-holder will have lots of conversations going on at the same time, so it’s important they can communicate clearly and keep on top of their messages. They’ll need to keep a cool head and friendly manner, even under pressure. They’ll always have a ‘plan b’, just in case things don’t go quite as expected.
In addition, we’re looking for someone with:
- A love of music and other arts/cultural activity, with respect for all genres and styles
- An interest in (and ideally some knowledge of) Devon’s music scene
- A desire to develop a career in music, broadcasting or a related field
- A keen eye (and ear) for detail
- Basic IT skills (email, web searching, word processing, spreadsheets, etc)
- A commitment to diversity, equality and environmental sustainability
This role will help the job-holder to:
- Develop their team working and project management skills
- Build their professional network in the music and media industries
- Develop a portfolio, showreel or demo that helps them take the next step in their career
It’s important to say that we’re looking for someone with the right attitude and a desire to learn and develop. No formal training, qualifications or previous experience in this industry is necessary. We can teach the successful job-holder everything they need to know and provide all the equipment they will need.
This job is open to 18–25 year olds with the right to work in the UK. Please see our questions and answers page for more details.
This is a six month contract, for 17 hours per week, with a wage of £11 per hour. We anticipate the six month contract will run from May–November 2023. Working arrangements can be flexible, although some travel within Devon will be required. Please see our questions and answers page for more details.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is Friday 14 April 2023.
Devonstream’s Sessions and Playlist projects are supported by Youth Music’s Incubator Fund thanks to funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery.