Researcher – The Hard Shoulder, Newstalk
Newstalk is Ireland’s fastest-growing independent talk radio station in Ireland, with a weekly reach of 822,000 people across 26 counties. Newstalk continues to grow its audience each year and is known across the nation as the independent voice of Ireland, boasting a strong line-up of Ireland’s leading broadcasters.
Newstalk is also one of the most respected media brands in the country, having a track record for engaging content and campaigns that have helped to grow our reputation and our listenership.
About The Role
Newstalk is recruiting for a researcher to join one of our flagship news and current affairs programmes, The Hard Shoulder. We're looking for an experienced, creative and ambitious person to be part of a leadership team for a programme that sets the agenda while helping to grow the audience.
What you’ll do
- Generate and develop the best original ideas for the programme and to research items as per recommendation by the Producer
- React to breaking news quickly so that it gets to air accurately and first
- Edit relevant audio clips for the programme
- Break news stories and develop new angles and contributors on existing stories.
- Secure on-air exclusives for the programme.
- Assist the Producer in all activities pertaining to the programme while it is on-air including editing and researching of items.
- Identify opportunities for on location reports to be carried out by a member of the programming team.
- Write scripts and collate briefing material for the presenter
- Drive the programme’s presence on digital platforms
- Source new voices for the programme
- Bring energy and fun to the on air product
- Co-ordinate and develop podcasts
- Other ad hoc tasks to keep us organised.
If the following traits sound like you, you might be the right person for the job:
- You have experience researching on a live radio programme
- You have working knowledge of broadcast journalism
- Strong interest in current affairs and items that get people talking
- You’re a self-starter who can identify, pitch and develop current affairs and feature items for broadcast
- You are proficient in recording and editing and the workings of digital and social media
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and to deadlines
Before applying, make sure you tick the following boxes:
- The ideal candidate will have at least one years’ experience in a similar role.
- Qualification in a related discipline
Closing date for applications is Monday 19th February 2023.
Our Culture & Rewards
At Bauer Media Audio Ireland we strive to be the most innovative, dynamic and best-in-class media outlet in Ireland. We want more people to spend more time with us. We want to talk to every person in Ireland, every single week, through one of our channels. To make this happen, our team is made up of some of the most passionate and creative people you’ll find. Working here means no two days are the same. The work by its nature is fast-paced, and it can be intense - we work really hard – but we are all here because we truly love what we do.
We are committed to promoting, developing, and facilitating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace culture, and to encourage and support the creation and distribution of content that reflects the diverse audience in Ireland.
Bauer Media Audio Ireland employees believe that the most important thing in creating a happy, respectful workplace culture is to simply act like the kind of person you would like to work with.