Duty Editor, LBC
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, displaying brilliant Outdoor ads, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Duty Editor, LBC
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Managing Editor, LBC News and Global’s Newsroom
This role is a rolling shift pattern, which includes early starts, late finishes and weekends. Uniquely this role will operate on a 4 day on 4 day off pattern
Overview of job
A rare opportunity to play a leading role at one of the UK's most exciting news broadcasters. You’ll work across the entire Newsroom to ensure that our audio and digital output is closely aligned.
You'll be responsible for leading coverage on the stories that drive engagement across all our platforms and setting the editorial agenda with news-making guests.
Working with all our teams, you will be empowered to make key editorial decisions and ensure the whole operation is taking your lead.
3 best things about the job
- You will be working with some of the UK's most talented presenters, leading on standout programmes and making the very best out of their content.
- You will be leading a hardworking team of journalists to ensure LBC’s headline-making content reaches new audiences.
- You are part of an exciting established news brand, that thrives on opinion, big name guests and agenda-setting stories.
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have:
- Strengthened our output by ensuring all parts of the LBC brand are complementing each other.
- Created multiple agenda-setting moments with exclusive news lines that drive national debate.
- Helped to improve collaboration across our entire team of journalists and presenters.
Responsibilities of the role
- This is a senior role at LBC requiring editorial supervision across all the output.
- You will be responsible for joining up the strongest content with our audio and digital teams. It's also important to think about how our stand-out news-making moments are shared across the programming schedule and with our comms team.
- Ensuring that your handovers with the previous Duty Editor and the incoming ones are done in such a way to set up each shift for success.
- You will be involved in the development of the teams you interact with, providing them with regular support, feedback and guidance.
- As 24/7 broadcaster, the shift pattern for the successful candidates will involve a blend of early starts and late finishes. The working pattern will be four days on and four days off.
What will you need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You will be comfortable operating in a fast-paced news environment and making big editorial decisions.
- A proven track record of breaking major, original stories with a national impact.
- Extensive experience of a leadership role within a multi-platform national newsroom.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with both internal and external partners.
- A strong foundation in media law and detailed grasp of the Ofcom Broadcast Code.
- Ability to deliver in the moment feedback, in a supportive manner, to ensure the team is always striving for the best output.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global.