Music Producer, Classic FM
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Music Producer, Classic FM
Reporting of the role
This role reports to The Deputy Managing Editor, Classic FM
Overview of job
At a significant time for UK radio, we want a brilliant producer to join us in the year Classic FM has celebrated its 30th birthday. In the past twelve months Classic FM has achieved its highest hours and share for 17 years (RAJAR Q1 2022), cemented its position as the biggest classical music brand online worldwide, and played classical music to millions of pets up and down the country on Bonfire Night!
It’s fair to say we always aim high and achieve great things, and we’d love you to apply if you think you can help take Classic FM to the next level.
3 best things about the job
- Your work will reach 5 million UK adults every week
- Your weekly tasks will be varied, and you’ll play a key role selecting music for programmes presented by a host of household names
- You’ll be given opportunities to grow and develop your career
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have:
- Effectively scheduled the music for a variety of programmes using GSelector
- Proven a passion for the music Classic FM plays and encouraged those around you
- Built great relationships with presenters and producers, as well as with key people in the wider team at Global
- Proven you have a desire to increase overall listening to Classic FM and Classic FM’s products
- Shown you're completely proficient with Classic FM's play-out system (Zetta)
- Built a critical ear for the programmes you work on, and be actively looking of ways to improve them
- Understood the position Classic FM holds in the UK radio market
- Shown knowledge of Global Player, how it seamlessly integrates with the on-air output, and suggested ways Classic FM’s playlists could be improved.
Responsibilities of the role
The exact responsibilities will depend on the skills possessed by the successful candidate, but they will likely include:
- Selecting the music for a variety of programmes
- Listening to new recordings and loading audio onto Classic FM’s play-out system
- Day-to-day communication with presenters and producers to inform them of the music you’ve chosen for them
- Building relationships with the classical music recording industry and Classic FM’s partners
- Taking an active part in team meetings and coming forward with suggestions for the station outside of the programmes you work on
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- Scheduling the music for a similar or equivalent radio station, with clearly transferable skills that can be applied to Classic FM
- Showing good working knowledge of GSelector
- An understanding of Classic FM’s music policy and its target audience
- Demonstrating a knowledge of the programmes on Classic FM
- Using Adobe Audition, or similar editing software
- Driving a mixing desk
- Excelling under pressure, together with the desire to rise to the challenge of attracting listeners from our competitors.
- Showing an acute understanding of where Classic FM sits within the radio marketplace, of its target audience, and of what makes a great commercial radio station
- Demonstrating a knowledge of the OFCOM broadcasting cod
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global