Podcast Producer (News)
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Podcast Producer - The News Agents
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to the Deputy Editor, The News Agents.
Overview of job
We are looking for a Producer for Global’s flagship news podcast, presented by Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel, Lewis Goodall and executive produced by Dino Sofos.
You will be an outstanding journalist with a consistent track record of producing a high profile national daily news programme, fixing high-profile interviews, arranging access to locations, events and setting up special programmes.
3 best things about the job
- You’ll be a producer on a high profile, innovative and high-reaching podcast presented by three world class journalists.
- The chance to define your mark on the podcasting landscape.
- You'll be part of a dynamic team working in a lively news environment.
Measures of success –
In the first few months, you would have:
- Established yourself as a key member of the team, regularly pitching ideas for stories, guests and treatments that sound great on air.
- Broken stories and delivered news-making interviews.
- Ensured that we have the best on the ground access to people and places when we take the podcast on the road.
- Helped continue to grow a healthy audience and engage a community of listeners.
- Been part of setting up and producing outside broadcasts at home or abroad.
Responsibilities of the role
- You will be the driving force on planning for the podcast. You will be responsible for fixing contributors and high-profile interviewees, setting up outside broadcasts, and looking ahead to what stories we should be covering in the future.
- You will be encouraged to bring innovative and ambitious ideas for stories, guests, features and episodes, that set this podcast apart from the crowd.
- We will be taking the podcast on the road for big events or when stories break, so last-minute travel may be required.
- This will be a reactive podcast so you will need to be able to spring into action at very short notice and think on your feet to generate content quickly.
- To generate additional short form or social media content that will drive audience to the podcast.
- Work with internal collaborators and the podcast project management team to ensure effective production, promotion and marketing of podcast content.
- Be experienced on Adobe Audition and comfortable editing audio on a tight deadline and under pressure.
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- A couple of years experience producing a daily news programming with knowledge and an interest of UK and international news.
- This could be a news podcast and / or a live radio or TV news strand.
- A track record in planning or as a guest booker.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs, but also broader cultural reference points.
- You will show a high level of creativity and inventiveness in audio content creation and be proficient with audio editing software Adobe Audition.
- Experience of producing outside broadcasts / in the field.
- Sound editorial judgment and knowledge of media law.
- An excellent contacts' book which lead to a diverse range of guest and story ideas.
- Outstanding organisational skills and the ability to deliver high quality output to deadline.
- Experience of working with high profile talent.
- You will be a great teammate.
- Experience of working in a breaking news environment with fast turnarounds and tight deadlines.
- You will be flexible enough to work across a range of stories with an up-to-date understanding of diversity and inclusivity.
- You have a knowledge of the current podcasting world including and industry trends.
- You’ll be a listener of many podcasts across multiple categories and genres.
- You will have an understanding of how to promote podcasts effectively and the ability to build generate additional social media and short form content to help drive audience to the podcasts.
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to build an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global.