Producer, Classic FM
We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
At a significant time for UK radio, here is a rare opportunity to join the nation’s most popular classical music brand. The coronavirus crisis has affected many and brought the importance of radio to the fore. During the past few months, Classic FM has had a surge in digital listening and, in the first three months of 2020, Classic FM achieved its highest hours and share for 13 years. Recently the station has broadcast an exclusive interview with Dame Judi Dench, commemorated the 75th anniversary of VE Day, launched a new weekday programme hosted by Alexander Armstrong, and welcomed HRH The Prince of Wales as a guest presenter. We’re now looking for an outstanding producer, at an exciting time for the station, to play a key part in continuing Classic FM’s growth and success.
What you’ll be doing…
The day to day responsibilities will depend on the skills of the candidate. We encourage applications from a diverse range of backgrounds, and those who have built a career in radio or in classical music – but you’re in an advantageous position if you’ve experience in both of these fields. It’s important to stress that it’s not necessary to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of classical music – we have that covered – but you should have a passion for, and understanding of, the music played on Classic FM.
You may be working on live programmes, on producing specialist output, on selecting music for a range of programmes, and it’s highly likely that you’ll produce programmes hosted by some of our well-known weekend presenters such as Myleene Klass, Bill Turnbull or Alan Titchmarsh.
What we expect from you…
- Experience of producing relevant radio programming presented by high-profile names, with clearly transferable skills that can be applied to Classic FM.
- An understanding of the range of music played on Classic FM alongside the ability to schedule music using GSelector or equivalent software.
- A sound working knowledge of Adobe Audition, or similar editing software, and the ability to lead and direct recording sessions.
- Proficient in driving a mixing desk and to using a radio studio to effectively produce pre-recorded and live output.
- A demonstrable ability to script programmes and the knowledge of writing for radio.
- Experience of excelling under pressure, together with the desire to rise to the challenge of attracting listeners from our competitors.
- An acute understanding of where Classic FM sits within the radio marketplace, of its target audience, and of what makes a great commercial radio station.
Who you’ll be working with…
- Classic FM’s Managing Editor and Classic FM’s Executive Producer
- Our team of presenters and producers
- Other colleagues from across other parts of the brand: for example, digital and commercial