Broadcast Engineer - An exciting opportunity to help make radio and television at NewsUK working as part of the Broadcast Technology team.
You’ll be joining a supportive and collaborative team of broadcast engineers, based at The News Building, working together to share knowledge, develop skills and help make brilliant TV and radio broadcasts. The team is responsible for maintaining and supporting complex studio and transmission chain systems, managing them to ensure continuous, high quality, uninterrupted transmissions.
As a Broadcast Engineer, reporting to the Lead Broadcast Support Engineer, you will be joining a team of 8 shift engineers responsible for the support, maintenance, fault management, and readiness of News UK broadcast systems and networks, both at our London studios and on location at outside broadcasts. You will work a shift pattern which includes early, late and weekend working, taking part in an on-call rota to respond to urgent technical issues outside standard hours.
Day to day:
- Provide customer-focussed support for broadcast technology users.
- Support live studio and transmission operations for radio and television
- Maintain and promptly solve problems with broadcast hardware and software
- Work with outside companies and internal departments to resolve faults
- Test and fix equipment
- Perform quality and line tests with external contributors
- Book, configure and test satellite feeds for sporting and news events
- Test, prepare, pack and despatch equipment for reporters and outside broadcasts
- Document systems, processes and procedures
- Keep studios, racks rooms, stores and technology offices safe and tidy
- Implement new systems to support changing broadcast requirements
- Plan, research and provide risk assessment for outside broadcasts and special events.
- Design, specify and implement new systems to support changing requirements.
- Grow and develop your skills.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Secure knowledge of broadcast media technologies and studio operations
- An understanding of IP-based broadcast infrastructure
- A passion for delivering exceptional customer service
- Good numerical and written skills
- Experience supporting live radio and television studio operations
- Ability to support broadcast playout, studio, MCR and scheduling systems
- Knowledge of newsroom computer systems
- Experience using and supporting broadcast communication systems
- Knowledge of broadcast routing and control systems
- The ability to assess risk and work in a safe manner at all times
- A passion for developing your skills, knowledge and capabilities and those of our team
We are News Broadcasting: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio - home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020 Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat - they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.