Broadcast Journalist – Leeds
We are Global
We think big, work hard and never stand still. It’s our talented and passionate people that make us leaders in creativity and innovation and the proud home to the best media and entertainment on the planet.
We’re here to make everyone’s day brighter. That’s everyone from our Globallers, to our audiences, every partner we work with and every community we work in. Whether we’re making shows or making headlines, making everyone’s day brighter is behind everything we do.
Whether we’re in the studio, building a world-class Global Player app, or producing fast-moving digital content, we’re at our best when we’re working together. It’s why we show up, deliver great work and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Broadcast Journalist - Leeds
Reporting of the Role
This role reports to Regional News Editor Yorkshire and North-East
Overview of job
We’re looking for a dedicated and talented broadcast journalist to join our award winning team based in Leeds. You will be creative, have a fantastic voice and great writing skills. You’ll be producing exciting content for Global’s Newsroom bulletins on Capital, Heart, Smooth, LBC, LBC News, Classic FM, Radio X and Gold.
The successful candidate should have a proven track record of building relationships with key contacts, researching and conducting interviews, editing audio, writing scripts and creating audio and video packages. The role will vary from reading bulletins for Heart, Capital and Smooth across the North-East and Yorkshire, to reporting in the field.
3 best things about the job
- Working on some of the UK’s largest and most prestigious radio brands!
- No two days are the same and the patch is a busy and exciting one!
- The opportunity to create unique and exclusive content both on-air and on-line
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have
- Presented hourly news bulletins for Capital, Heart and Smooth
- Reported live into LBC News
- Produced creative pre-recorded content for LBC News
- Sourced and produced exclusive regional content
Responsibilities of the role
- Developing relationships with key contacts across the Yorkshire and the North-East
- Keeping across the main issues affecting people in the region
- Responding to breaking news stories in a calm and professional manner
- Sourcing, producing and presenting high quality audio and video content for regional and national stations
- You will have sound legal judgement and be proficient in OFCOM's broadcast regulations and guidelines.
- The flexibility to take on both bulletin reading and reporting shifts where needed
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- You will be confident working on your own and under the guidance of your Regional News Editor to provide on-target, agenda-setting news content
- Delivering standout, OFCOM-compliant bulletins which routinely meet and exceed Global standards.
- We want you to be passionate about news, and eager to investigate and create your own unique and exclusive stories
- You will have a commanding on-air presence and be confident in your ability to report live into LBC and LBC News
- Ideally you will have some experience of producing and presenting news bulletins
- You will have experience of producing video content for use on-line
- You will enjoy working flexible hours and always strive to complete a task to a high standard
- A full clean UK driving licence is essential
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global